8:30 - 8:45 a.m. Welcome and Overview
8:45 – 11:30 a.m.
During the morning students will meet their peers, meet their first-year advisor as a group, and learn more about their major requirements and registration (which will happen in the afternoon). Students will also have the time to meet 1:1 with their advisor or select two out of the following three breakout sessions to attend.
- Academic Success Strategies: Get the most out of your college education, in this session you will hear from current students their best tips for studying, tutoring, study buddies, when to ask for help and whom to go to if you are struggling.
- Financial Facts: In this session, you will receive the facts about FAFSA, student loans, campus employment, and how to be financially savvy while in college.
- CONNECTions: Learn about student organizations, the importance of getting involved and making CONNECTions to campus, and finding your CONNECTions outside of the classroom.
11:30 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Students and their guests will meet up during lunch and resource time. During this time you will have the opportunity to re-connect, enjoy lunch in our south campus cafeteria, and attend the resource fair and two of the five breakouts below.
- Financial Advising: Meet individually with our financial aid counselors to learn more about your individual finances and plans.
- Honors College (SECOND SESSION ONLY. STUDENTS ONLY): Required for all students already enrolled in the Honors College and strongly encouraged for those who are interested. Learn about the spirit of our Honors community, including expectations and requirements. We will also cover details about registering for Honors classes, which you’ll do at the end of the day. Due to space constraints, parents are encouraged to attend the other breakout sessions.
- Student Services and Resources (FIRST SESSION ONLY): Learn more about Student Support Services, Fostering Success, Multicultural Student Services, and Disability Services. What qualifies you for these programs and how do they help you succeed in college.
- On-Campus Employment: Join this session to learn more about employment opportunities available on campus. Learn how to go about applying for employment, how work-study funds work, and hear about the variety of different positions available. This session will also discuss what paperwork students will need to complete with Human Resources prior to beginning on-campus employment.
Students and their guests will be split after the breakout sessions to finish their day. Everyone will split from the lower level of the Price Commons, students and their guests will be divided and brought to their next activity.
1:30 – 4:40 p.m.
During the afternoon students will get their Stout BlueCard, be issued their laptop, and enroll in Fall semester courses.
Students will meet their guests for the closing session from 4:10 – 4:40 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center, Great Hall.