Updates for 2018-2019 Academic Year
Updates that occur to the handbook throughout the academic year can be found here. New handbooks will be published electronically with the most updated content in August prior to each academic year.
UPDATE FOR FALL 2019 | Air Conditioners
Type of unit:
- Portable floor unit with duct and window covering. Window units are not allowed for safety reasons.
- Must be an evaporative unit (unit where water that is collected is exhausted through the window duct).
- Maximum BTUs: 8000 ASHRAE (see product specifications and be prepared to show this documentation upon inspection)
Students must apply for Air Conditioner unit and be approved prior to installation.
- Only one unit per room may be installed.
After approval, students may plug-in and place exhaust in the window.
Students must have hard plastic or plexiglass insert in the window to help with energy conservation. Plexiglass or hard plastic often comes with units. If it is not included with the unit or the provided insert is not large enough, plexiglass can be purchased at most home improvement or hardware stores.
- Window inserts must stay in place only by closing the window and using tape provided by the University. Students cannot use their own tape or attach the window insert with screws, nails, etc.
- See table below for the approximate window opening dimensions for window insert
- Screens are left in the window.
- Staff will inspect the installation request residents make corrections as necessary.
- Any installation done without approval or failure to make corrections to installation may result in charges and removal of the unit.
- The student approved for the unit will be responsible for any damages caused by the unit.
- Air conditioner units are not permitted in Red Cedar and McCalmont Halls.
|Antrim & Froggatt
|CKTO & HKMC*
|Fleming & Hovlid
|Jeter & Callahan
*Curran, Kranzusch, Tustison, Oetting, Hansen, Keith, Milnes, &Chinnock
UPDATE, 1/1/2019 | Fire Safety - Refrigerator, microwaves, and cooking
All student rooms are provided with a refrigerator and microwave. Students are also allowed to bring an additional refrigerator for personal use. Additional refrigerators must not exceed 3.2 cubic feet and must be Energy Star certified.
UPDATE, 9/10/2018 | Mail and Packages
Mailings that are not University business must be processed through regular mail services with paid postage.
UPDATE, 8/21/2018 | Fire Safety - Appliances
Modern electric pressure cookers (Instant Pot, MultiPot, etc.) are allowed on campus for use in kitchen areas only. After use, the pressure cooker must be cleaned and fully cooled before being stored in a student’s room.