Our RDGED 702 Reading in the Content Areas online course includes strategies for
- teaching the specific skills students need to read content effectively.
- supporting students in using all forms of text in the content classroom.
- classifying content area vocabulary and teaching strategies for literal understanding, inferential reading, comprehension, fluency, and retention.
Register now to reserve a spot.
There is no registration fee to reserve a class.
We invite you to enroll in our Reading in the Content Areas course to meet your professional development goals if you need teaching license renewal, graduate credits, or just a refresher course.
3 semester hours of graduate credit
Instructor: Dr. Mary Beth Crum
Summer: June 7 - August 20, 2021
Tuition: $466 per semester hour graduate credit ($1,398 for a three-credit course)
Summer Tuition Due - July 21, 2021
Fall: September 20 - December 10, 2021
Tuition: $476 per semester hour graduate credit ($1,428 for a three-credit course)
Fall Tuition Due - October 2021
If you need a copy of the syllabus for your employer to approve enrollment in the class, email: Online Professional Development or call 715-642-0209.
Our online Reading in the Content Areas course allows you to complete your weekly assignments as they best fit your schedule. All discussion postings and projects are submitted online.
Our students include:
- 4K-Elementary, Middle School, and High School Classroom Teachers
- Reading/Math Interventionists
- Special Education Teachers and Resource Teachers
- English Language Arts Teachers
- Science, Math, Social Studies, Health Teachers
- Music and the Arts Teachers
- Foreign Language Teachers
- Dual-Language Spanish Teachers
- Academic/Instructional Coaches
- Reading Resource Teachers
- Title I Teachers
- ELL/ESL Teachers
- Bilingual Teachers
- Reading/Literacy Specialists
- Literacy Coaches
- Library Media Specialists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
How do I register?
Complete the Online Registration Form.
When is the registration deadline?
Reserve your spot now. This program is top-rated, and courses fill well before the start date. This course is offered three times each year (spring, summer, and fall).
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
Textbook to Purchase
Serravallo, J. (2015). The reading strategies book: Your everything guide to developing skilled readers. (1st ed.). Portsmouth, N.H: Heinemann. ISBN: 978-0325074337
E-textbooks are included with the tuition, and you will access the e-textbooks after you log in to the course.
- Billmeyer, R. (2010). Strategic reading in the content area: Practical application for creating a thinking environment, (2nd ed.). Omaha, NE: Rachel & Associates. ISBN: 978-0-9711292-6-9
- Billmeyer, R. (2006). Strategies to engage the mind of the learner, (2nd ed.). Omaha, NE: Rachel & Associates. ISBN: 978-0-9711292-5-2
If you prefer to read a hard copy of the textbook instead of reading via your computer or tablet, you may purchase the book online from http://rachelbillmeyer.com.
This is one of the required courses for individuals pursuing reading teacher certification, Wisconsin #1316
This course is an approved elective in the Master of Science in Education online degree program.