Welcome to UW-Stout - we are so excited to have you as a new student!
We're happy you will be joining us this Spring! Your next step is to attend First-Year Registration and Orientation (FYRO). For your safety and the safety of our staff, we are moving our orientation online this Spring.
This event will provide the same information you would receive on campus in a unique and engaging format! We are truly excited to share information and help you get acclimated in a virtual environment.
Register for Orientation
- Check your UW-Stout email for an invitation after November 23rd! This is a required program which includes class registration, meeting your advisor, and opportunities to connect with other students.
- Orientation and class registration will take place January 11-22, 2021.You will be required to meet with your advisor prior to enrollment.
- Your advisor will be in touch after January 4th with instructions for scheduling an appointment either in-person or virtually.
Take the English and Math Placement Test
With in-person placement testing currently suspended, University of Wisconsin Testing Services have developed online un-proctored placement tests. To complete the placement tests online, follow these steps:
Verify which tests you are advised to take. UW-Stout requires both the English and Math placement tests unless you have college credits from high school which can assist with placement.
If you plan on taking a World language you would need to take the Spanish, German, or French placement test.
You will need your campus login to access the registration form. Your UW-Stout username is everything before the @ sign in your UW-Stout email address.
- Visit the UW System placement testing website when you are ready to sign up for the online placement tests.
Prepare for Orientation
Consider downloading these additional apps on your phone. These tools will help you to be successful while here at Stout.
- Canvas Student: Canvas is our online classroom (similar to blackboard which you may have used in high school).
- Microsoft Teams: Teams is a Microsoft tool for meetings similar to Zoom. We will be using Teams for our live sessions during orientation. You will gain access using your Stout credentials after enrollment, prior to enrollment you can access events as a guest in Teams.
- Navigate: Navigate is your student success tool which you will use to schedule appointments with your advisor, view to-do items and more! You will gain access using your Stout credentials after enrollment.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (2-step/Duo): Security is a top priority at UW Stout and all students are required to use Multi-Factor Authentication. Multi-Factor Authentication, also known as 2-Step Authentication enhances the security of your account by using a secondary device to verify your identity when logging into many of our Stout accounts. This prevents anyone but you from accessing your account, even if they know your password.
Watch your UW-Stout email for more information regarding laptop pick-up and textbook pick-up which will begin January 21st. You will receive more information regarding move-in (if living on campus), from the housing office directly.