Once you register for the exams:
- Within two days of completing the registration form, you will receive an email from Scantron with instructions on how to access the test(s).
- Registering will give you access to all five tests (English, Math, French, German, and Spanish).
- All students are required to take the English and Math Placement Tests.
- If you have taken a global language class in high school and plan to continue your studies in that area while attending UW-Stout you are required to take the appropriate global language placement test in that area.
- The tests will be untimed, but you will be given information about the normal standardized conditions and urged to comply with time limits as best you are able.
- Upon completion of the test, you need to click on a button to submit your score(s). If you do not, your exam will still be open, and no test scores will be sent to UW-Stout.
- We would prefer that you test on a computer or tablet rather than on a phone. Some parts of the test such as item usage questions and math graphics will be hard to complete on a phone.
- All students are charged a $30 test fee that will be assessed on your fall semester tuition bill.
Will I be charged for testing?
Yes, all students are charged a $30 fee on their fall tuition bill for the UW System Placement exams.
Once I register, how long do I have to take the test?
Once you’ve registered and received a username and password from Scantron, you have 180 days to complete any tests. After that you will need to re-register for the exams.
I’ve lost my exam log-in information, what should I do?
If you can’t remember your log-in information, you will need to contact the UW-System Placement Testing office at 608.262.5863.
How do I request accommodations for testing?
Accommodations are already included for additional time and large print. If you need other accommodations, please follow the instructions found at https://exams.wisc.edu/placement/regionaltesting/specialaccommodations.php.
How long will the placement exams take?
The exams will be available on demand and you do not need to complete all of your exams in one sitting. You are provided five (5) hours to take each exam. If you leave or log out of a test before finishing, you should log back in and the system will remember how much time was remaining. Upon completing a test, you must submit the exam in order for us to receive your scores.
You will have access to all five tests -English, math, and three world languages- for testing. UW-Stout requires English and math. The world languages are optional and should only be taken if you plan to continue your foreign language education at UW-Stout.
It is important that after each test, you submit your answers to Scantron. Failure to submit your answers could result in a delay of transmission of these scores to UW-Stout and the opportunity to schedule your academic advising appointment.
When should I take the tests?
New students for fall 2021 may register for the tests beginning March 15, 2021.
Once you’ve registered, and received a username and password from Scantron, you have 180 days to complete any tests. After that you will need to re-register for the exams.
It is recommended that you complete the English, math, and optional world language exams no later than Thursday at noon (12 p.m.) central time for your campus advisor to receive your scores the following week.
Tests should be completed at least 2 weeks prior to your advising appointment to allow for processing.
What technology do I need to have to take the exams?
How soon after I register for the Placement Exams will I receive information about the online tests?
Within two business days of registering, you will receive an email from Scantron with a username and password for accessing the exams.
What if I have technical difficulties during the test?
Scantron will provide telephone and email support to students during testing. Scantron staff will be available on Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays. Voicemail will accept student inquiries outside of these business hours.
When will my scores be available?
Your scores will be shared with you during your academic advising appointment.
Why is it important to take the placement exams seriously?
The UW-System Placement Tests have been shown to be very good at determining what English and Math courses a student should take. Please be sure to use the knowledge that you currently have to answer the questions. Using outside resources could result in you placing into classes for which you are not prepared.
What if I cannot take my placement tests before my academic advising appointment?
All students are expected to complete their placement testing prior to enrolling in classes. If you believe you can’t complete your placement tests prior to your appointment, please contact us at email@example.com or 715-232-1465 to discuss your situation.