Effective in September 2013 any student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout can indicate their preferred first name to the university community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name.
Choosing a preferred name in Access Stout will automatically change which name appears in many internal locations such as class lists, your student center, and unofficial transcripts.
Places Where Preferred Name is Used
- Unofficial Transcript
- Electronic Academic Advising Reports
- Class Rosters
- Grade Rosters
- Campus Directory
- Learn @ UW-Stout (Canvas)
Places Where Legal First Name is Used
- Student Accounts
- Financial Aid
- Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
- Official Transcripts
- PDF Academic Advising Reports
- School of Education teacher certification records
- Human Resources (Student Employment Documents)
Please Note: preferred name is used solely for University of Wisconsin - Stout's internal systems; external systems (such as home-town newspapers, official transcripts, enrollment verifications, etc) will continue to use your legal first name.
Updating your preferred name does not change how your email name appears. Please read the information on How to Update Your Email Display Name in the section below.