Criteria for Selection
No single factor will be responsible for an applicant receiving a scholarship.
Factors which are considered include:
- Academic performance
- Professional activities
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Written statements
- In some cases, financial need
The Scholarship Committee will review applications and make the selections in the spring. Winners of scholarships for the 2024-2025 academic year will be notified via e-mail by April 14th.
Tips and Tricks
- Follow directions and answer questions completely.
- One of the quickest ways to lose out on a scholarship is to fail to follow the directions.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your application.
- Proofread and take the time to do it right.
- Remember that spell check doesn’t catch everything. Proofread your application to make sure that you don’t have any spelling or grammatical errors. Asking someone else to read it and provide feedback is also helpful. Friends, parents, and teachers can catch any mistakes you might have missed, as can online tools such as Grammarly or Scribens.
- Don’t become discouraged if you don’t get awarded a scholarship right away.
- Unfortunately, it's sometimes difficult to win a scholarship, and not everyone is guaranteed to receive one. It's vital that you never give up applying for scholarships— because then you're guaranteed to never win one.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I am only a part-time student?
- Awards are for full and part-time students.
- Are letters of recommendation or essays required?
- Starting this application season, these are no longer required.
- When will I be notified if I receive a scholarship?
- Notification of scholarship awards will be by email in the Spring.
- Do I have to attend the scholarship reception to receive my award?
- Yes, your scholarship may be rescinded if you fail to attend the ceremony and have not been excused prior to the event.
- What if I graduate in December, do I receive the full amount?
- Do I have to fill out a FAFSA?
- A FAFSA is required for any scholarships that requires financial need. It is the student's choice to fill out the FAFSA but not completing it will automatically disqualify you from any scholarships where financial need is part of the criteria.
- Expect the 2024-2025 FAFSA to launch by December 31, 2023.
- Are there scholarships available for international students?
- Yes, the foundation has a few scholarships for international students