Program Plan

You must select your concentration by the end of your junior year. A minimum grade of "C" is required in all concentration courses.

You may choose to complete a minor or specialization in place of a concentration. This choice must be communicated to and approved by the program director before or by the end of the first semester of your junior year. You will not be able to register for second semester courses unless this choice is indicated.

Program Objectives: Objectives for the BSVR program, as well as for each concentration, are available here.

 » Concentration Plans for students who enrolled prior to 2014

Concentration Plans 

(for students enrolled prior to 2014)

Each concentration uses the standard undergraduate Vocational Rehabilitation Program Plan as a base with the exception of special education certification, which involves changes in the base program.

  • Community-Based Rehabilitation [PDF]
    Prepares specialists in community-based rehabilitation, e.g., supported employment, transitional employment, independent living support, and other community support services.

  • Criminal Justice [PDF]
    Prepares graduates to work in criminal justice positions such as probation and parole agents or probation and correctional treatment specialists.

  • Independent Living Rehabilitation [PDF]
    In-depth course work and experiences dealing with the critical issues confronting individuals with disabilities to help them live more independently.

  • Psychatric Rehabilitation [PDF]
    Graduates with this concentration will most likely obtain employment in community-based rehabilitation programs or residential programs serving individuals with long-term mental illness.

  • Recreational Rehabilitation [PDF]
    Recreation and sports related courses for students interested in recreation for individuals with disabilities.

  • Rehabilitation Counseling [PDF]
    Guidance and counseling courses. For students interested in counseling positions in the rehabilitation field.

  • Social Work [PDF]
    Graduates with this concentration will be eligible for a Wisconsin Social Work Trainee license. The trainee license allows individuals to be employed in positions that require Social Work licensure while attaining the supervised experience necessary (400 hours) to be eligible to complete the Licensed Social Work Examination.

  • Special Education Certification [PDF]
    Course work in teaching special needs students to prepare for adult life. Leads to certification to teach grades 6–12 or K–12 cognitively disabled (severe and borderline) students.

  • Substance Abuse Counseling [PDF]

    This concentration is a program approved by the Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing as training that leads to Substance Abuse Counselor licensure in Wisconsin. Graduates complete state and national exams and the requisite 4,000 post-graduate supervised work hours for licensure. This degree counts as 1,000 of those supervised work hours. In addition to working in treatment programs, graduates with this concentration may work in a variety of criminal justice, residential or community-based settings. Graduates may serve a specialized caseload or apply these skills with a more general population for individuals experiencing adjustment and chemical health concerns.

  • Individualized Rehabilitation Concentration
    Limited to students whose educational goals cannot be met by available concentrations. Students who select this option must develop, with advice and consent of their faculty advisor, a list of 22 credits that have a cohesive and logical relationship to the rehabilitation field. Written rationale explaining their career goals and the list of courses selected must be signed by the students and their faculty advisor and be in the students files by their junior year. This option is sometimes used by transfer students.

A minimum grade of "C" is required in all concentration courses.


Transfer Information

Student Forms

Substitutions, waivers and concentrations should be discussed with your adviser and/or program director. Forms are available on the Student Forms page of the Provost's Office website.