Frequently Asked Questions 

I am a new Freshman, can I review the material presented at Freshman Orientation?

Yes, the material presented at Freshman Orientation can be found by following this link to Orientation.

What does "breadth" in the general education categories of Arts and Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences mean?

Due to the "breadth" requirement for general education courses, you will select from two subject areas within both the Arts and Humanities category and the Social and Behavioral Sciences category. Here is one example of this:

  • You took one course in HIST (History) and have another course in LIT (Literature). This would satisfy the breadth requirement in Arts and Humanities. Also, you took one course in ECON (Economics) and another in GEOG (Geography). These two courses would satisfy the breadth requirement in Social and Behavioral Sciences.

The combinations are limitless. See the General Education listings for all possible courses to select from.

How do I know for sure I am clear to graduate before I start my last semester?

Contact your adviser, who will be able to help you assess your progress through the program, and will also have access to your current information. Come prepared with your own documentation on your program progress. The Academic Advisement Report (AAR) is a tool to assist in this process. If there needs to be any special approvals processed to allow any course substitution(s) or waiver(s), your adviser can discuss these with you. A final program plan/transcript review will be performed by your program director at the beginning of the semester in which you apply for graduation.

What is a co-op experience?

A co-operative learning experience is one that is structured by the employer and you the student. The structure will include goals you will achieve and experiences the employer will provide for you. A co-op is generally 6 months in duration and encompasses one summer and one academic semester. Students are paid as an employee of the company and will work on meaningful projects within their discipline. Status reports are provided by you to a manufacturing engineering program co-op coordinator. A final report detailing your experience and a presentation to a class is also required.

The co-op experience is generally taken by the student for 1-3 credits and will appear on your academic transcript. A co-op experience keeps you registered as a full time student during the semester you are absent from Stout. This could be an important issue for insurance from your parents' by maintaining your fulltime student status. It could also be an issue for students who have student loans. If you do not remain registered as a full time student, your grace period could begin to be used up during the three months of the semester.

I am considering a co-op, is there a co-op fee?

The only fee associated with the co-op experience to you as a student is the payment for the 1 credit the co-op course is taken for. The "co-op fee" is paid out of a new "Student Access to Learning" Fee that all students pay at Stout.

What is a summer internship?

A summer internship is another structured work experience in the student's discipline. It is generally not as extensive as the longer co-operative experience, but it is an important experience helpful in building a resume as well as experiencing the field.

Is there a program requirement for a co-op or intern experience?

Yes, a co-operative or internship experience is a requirement of the manufacturing engineering program. Experience is the differentiating item when employers interview candidates for full time employment. Employers are basically demanding it. You would be well served to have several intern experiences at a minimum.

What is the advantage of a co-op over an internship?

The decision is preferential from your point of view since either will fulfill the program requirement. If you can afford taking a semester off from formal coursework, you will likely have a fuller, more enriching experience with a co-op. Co-ops are six months in length and allow for longer term project work than a short, less than three month, internship. If taken for credit, either the co-op or internship can appear on your transcript. The real benefit of either is to build your resume!

What is an AAR (academic advisement report)?

An Academic Advisement Report (AAR) is an advising tool to assist you in meeting the requirements of the program plan you are enrolled in. It lists out all program and University requirements necessary to graduate. In the event that the AAR does not agree with the Program Plan, an appointment should be scheduled with your academic adviser to correct any discrepancies. The AAR is used by the university to determine eligibility for graduation. Therefore it is very important to ensure that the AAR shows all graduation requirements as “Satisfied” before you will be cleared for graduation. Instructions for how to run an AAR can be found on the Advisement Center’s website.

What is the difference between AAR and Program Plan?

Both the AAR and the Program Plan are tools to help you progress successfully through the program requirements. The Program Plan is an official document which shows you all of the courses that must be completed in order to graduate from the program. The AAR is a tool which shows your progress towards degree completion. All requirements on the AAR must be “Satisfied” before you will be cleared to graduate.

I am in the "Pre-Manufacturing Engineering" program classification, how can I officially get into the program and when should I do so?

To officially enter the Manufacturing Engineering Program, you must fulfill one of the three admission requirements. These can be viewed at Entrance Requirements. As a student in the "Pre-Manufacturing Engineering" group, you fall into the Transfer Student admission requirements. You must achieve a grade of 'B' or better in MATH-153 (Calculus I) or a 2.0 grade point average in the four course sequence of MATH-153 (Calculus I), MATH-154 (Calculus II), PHYS-291 (Statics) and CHEM-135 (College Chemistry I). Once you have finished these courses, you should go to the Advisement Center in Bowman Hall room 11 and fill out a "Change of Major" form. Once processed and approved by the program director, you will be officially admitted into the program. You must be fully admitted into the Manufacturing Engineering program in order to graduate with a Manufacturing Engineering degree.

Am I required to attend Advisement Day activities?

Absolutely! Advisement Day is an academic calendar day, not a day off from classes. During Advisement Day, we present information to you and answer many of your advisement questions as a group. We also use the time as a refresher on program requirements. The Manufacturing Engineering Program has one large group meeting usually at 10:00 a.m. You will be notified prior to the meeting of the exact location and time. Faculty advisers are also available for individual discussions following the large group meeting. If you fail to attend, an advisement hold will be placed on you until you meet with your advisor and discuss your academic progress. This hold will prevent you from registering.

Should I get involved in a student chapter of a professional society (i.e., SAE, SME, ASME, SWE, AFS)?

YES! This is extra-curricular activity that gets you involved in the life-long, professional development opportunities available to you from these professional organizations. The following benefits can be realized:

  • Participation in national design competitions.

  • Access to professional society scholarships.

  • Opportunities to practice leadership by getting involved in the boards or lead positions. This looks excellent on your resume.

  • Industrial exposure as most groups schedule professional speakers for meetings as well as tours to industrial facilities in the area.

  • Access to the parent professional organization's training and workshops at student rates or even free.

  • Professional journals and magazines from the parent organization.

  • Build your resume.

  • Realization of life-long access to the parent professional organizations opportunities and materials.

What is the University "Racial and Ethnic Studies Requirement?"

In order to learn about the diverse cultures that make up the United States, the University of Wisconsin System requires an ethnic studies component of study for all students. Stout fulfills this requirement by having courses in two levels of Racial and Ethnic Studies. At least three credits of the six required in this category must be classified as RESA. See the Racial and Ethnic Studies Requirement for the official listing of courses and methods to fulfill it. As a student, you should structure your Humanities and Social Sciences courses to fulfill the Racial and Ethnic Studies Requirement at the same time. Courses can fulfill both requirements. Courses listed within the General Education groupings can be selected that have the RESA or RESB designation. Use the Academic Advisement Report to keep track of this.

What is the University "Global Perspective Requirement?"

Both the globalization of work and the career education that is part of UW-Stout's mission make it desirable that students appreciate cultural, economic, political, environmental and social differences. Learning a second language at the college level and developing an understanding of another culture provides students with skills they will use in international situations. To earn a bachelor's degree, students who started Fall 2010 or later must fulfill a global perspective requirement by:

  • Completing a program of university-approved work or study abroad, or

  • Completing six credits of courses approved as fulfilling the global perspective requirement. See the Global Perspective Requirement for the official listing of courses and methods to fulfill it. As a student, you should structure your General Education courses to fulfill the Global Perspective Requirement at the same time. Courses can fulfill both requirements. Courses listed within the General Education groupings can be selected that have the GLP designation. Use the Academic Advisement Report to keep track of this.