Beginning in Spring 2020, you will be admitted as a Pre-Bachelor of Fine Arts (Pre-BFA) student. A portfolio is not required for admission as a Pre-BFA freshman student.
- Admission to a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program is competitive. Pre-BFA students must pass a portfolio review during their second semester before being accepted into a BFA program. The first Pre-BFA portfolio review will be held during the Spring 2021 semester.
Although your application for a BFA program doesn't start until the end of your freshmen year, when you have completed 30 credits, it's good to get a review of what you will need to meet the portfolio requirements. Please review the BFA program admission requirements with your Pre-BFA advisor.
- Submit a portfolio and essay to be reviewed by a committee of School of Art & Design faculty, who will determine admissions into the major. The hard deadline is no later than noon on October 1st for spring admission and March 1st for fall admission. You will receive direction on how to submit your portfolio in a separate handout accompanying your acceptance letter to UW-Stout.
Transfer students are considered both fall and spring. This includes portfolio and essay submission priority dates. Students applying for one of the BFA programs will be admitted as a "Pre-BFA" student if you:
- do not submit a portfolio/essay
- apply after the BFA program has closed
- are not approved for the BFA program after submission of a portfolio essay.
You may then apply for a change of major in subsequent semesters, depending upon available openings in the program. If needed, BFA Foundations courses will be available to "Pre-BFA" students pending seat availability.