Beginning in Spring 2020, you will be admitted as a Pre-Bachelor of Fine Arts (Pre-BFA) student and a portfolio is not required for admission for this particular program, but a portfolio is required for admission to a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program.
- Admission to a BFA program is competitive. Students must pass a portfolio review before being accepted into a BFA program at UW-Stout. BFA Portfolio applications and reviews occur each semester.
- Submit a portfolio and essay to be reviewed by a committee of School of Art & Design faculty, who will determine admissions into the major. The hard deadline is no later than noon on October 1st for spring admission and March 1st for fall admission. You will receive direction on how to submit your portfolio in a separate handout accompanying your acceptance letter to UW-Stout.
Transfer students are considered both fall and spring. This includes portfolio and essay submission priority dates. Students applying for one of the BFA programs will be admitted as a "Pre-BFA" student if you:
- do not submit a portfolio/essay
- apply after the BFA program has closed
- are not approved for the BFA program after submission of a portfolio essay.
You may then apply for a change of major in subsequent semesters, depending upon available openings in the program. If needed, BFA Foundations courses will be available to "Pre-BFA" students pending seat availability.