Congratulations! By visiting our webpage, you are taking positive steps toward a brighter future. Many students like you have wondered how the program can help them create the career they’ve always wanted. We’ve compiled some of our most Frequently Asked Questions so you can find out a little more about our program, to see if it’s right for you.

What can I teach with the Science Education degree?

The SCIED programs leads to licensure in the Broadfield Science category. This licensure allows instructors to teach general science to students ages 10-21, with the exception of discrete courses in particular fields. As an example, a graduate would be licensed to teach physical science or life science in middle school or high school, but not biology or chemistry at the high school level.

You can also be certified for Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Learn more here.

Add-on Certificates are also available for non-degree seeking students. Learn more here.

Can I graduate in four years?

Graduating in four years is possible and encouraged. A sample four-year course plan is available, assuming an average of 16 credits a semester.

If I were to travel and study abroad would this affect my graduation date?

If I were to travel and study abroad would this affect my graduation date? If you travel early in your college career, you can complete general education courses abroad without affecting your graduation date.

Will I be able to take courses in my major the first semester?

Definitely! You will start out with general education courses, science courses and science education in your first year.

Is employment available on campus related to the program?

There is student work study and state payroll money available, and the work can be either related or non-related.

What high school courses would be beneficial to take?

Courses such as English, writing, math, chemistry, biology, physics and communication skills are helpful.

As a transfer student what courses will be transferred to my Stout program?

It is best to meet with your advisor to determine where transfer credits will fit. Courses that are similar in content and credits are generally easy to transfer.

What other teaching minors are available at UW-Stout?

Teaching minors at UW-Stout include Coaching, Economics, Health and Fitness Education, History, Mathematics, Speech Communication and Traffic Safety Education (Driver's Education).

For answers to questions not addressed here, contact the program director at the address, telephone, or e-mail address listed on the Contact Information page.