How do I apply to the program?

The admission process requires two separate applications. First, an application to the Graduate School must be submitted (follow steps 1-3 below). Second, submit the application materials to the M.S. in Rehabilitation Counseling program (step 4 below):

Submit to the Graduate School:

  1. Graduate School Application
  2. Application fee ($56.00 U.S. payable to UW-Stout).
  3. Official transcripts (two (2) copies).

Submit to the Department of Rehabilitation and Counseling:

The following materials must be submitted to the M.S. in Rehabilitation Counseling (MSRC) Admissions Committee on or before March 15 of the year in which admission is required.

  1. M.S. in Rehabilitation Counseling Program Application [PDF]
    Program Application materials include four areas:
    » General Application Information
    » Current Resume
    » Written statement (see details on application)

    » Three letters of reference or Reference Questionnaires [PDF]

    Please use references that are professionals or faculty that can attest to your professional or academic skills.

What are the requirements for admission into your program?

Admission requirements include a 2.75 GPA, undergraduate transcripts, three references, a resume, and a written personal statement that describes your desire to enter the field of rehabilitation counseling.

What is the deadline for completion of materials?

March 15 for the campus cohort.

Is the GRE required?


How long does it take to complete the program?

About two years for full time on-campus students.

May I take courses in the program without being a full-time student?

Once admitted into the program, students are able to take courses as a part-time or full-time student. However, the course sequence is designed for students who are attending classes full time, with the goal of a degree completion in two years.

Do you have a financial aid program and if yes, where do I apply?

Yes, you would contact the Financial Aid office.

What salaries do graduates of your master's program obtain?

The rehabilitation profession is currently undergoing tremendous growth and salaries are increasing as a result of the demand. To obtain the latest information on salary projects in rehabilitation, refer to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook, which is updated annually.

What kinds of jobs do graduates of the master’s degree program obtain?

Rehabilitation professionals work in a wide variety of settings. All professionals assist persons with disabilities to achieve personal goals. Many professionals help persons with disabilities become employed, or provide counseling regarding personal and social problems, or career counseling and guidance. Others assist persons to advocate for themselves, or seek answers to various problems such as independent living. Other professionals may provide evaluation or assessment services that help persons with disabilities to understand skills and abilities and to help them make sound career choices. Other rehabilitation professionals may help business and industry to reduce the rate of injury to workers, or to manage rehabilitation services to workers injured on the job. Other professionals help high school student's transition from school to the world of work. Typically, graduates work in one of the following types of places:

  • State/Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs
  • Department of Corrections
  • Community-Based Rehabilitation Facilities
  • Disability Organizations
  • Centers for Independent Living
  • Supported Employment Programs
  • Vocational Assessment Programs
  • Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Programs
  • Worker's Compensation
  • Disability Insurance
  • Disability Management Programs
  • Transition Services in Secondary School Settings
  • Disability Services at Universities and Colleges
  • Hospital Settings

I have a disability and will need some accommodations. How do I arrange this?

Contact the Disability Services office for classroom accommodations.