You will engage in Independent Research (IR) towards the end of your program plan, when all or nearly all other coursework is completed.

You can fulfill your Independent Research requirement in one of two ways - as a field project or as a thesis. Students who are interested in pursuing doctoral studies generally choose the thesis. If you are not interested in graduate work beyond the Master’s, the field project is a good option.

Completing your Independent Research Requirement takes a lot of planning and work. To help you to do so, follow these four steps:

  1. Choose a research topic and find a faculty adviser.
  2. Register for ENGL-770 Thesis or ENGL-735 Field Project.
  3. Work effectively with your adviser.
  4. Prepare to graduate.