The Symphonic Singers and Chamber Choir at University of Wisconsin-Stout will perform “Sing Out and Dance” at 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 27, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 910 9th St. E.
Tickets are $5 and are available online, at the Service Center in the Memorial Student Center, 715-232-1122, and at the door.
Conducted by Assistant Professor Jerry Hui, the program will feature various types of dance music including folk, polka, rumba, disco, swing and salsa. Students have been learning about the dances as they have prepared for the performance, Hui said.
The performance is part of a Weekend of Music at UW-Stout, which also features the Blue Devil Jazz Orchestra at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 27, in Harvey Hall Theatre. Tickets are $5. The Symphonic Band performs at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 28, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Student Center. Tickets are also $5.
One highlight of the Symphonic Singers and Chamber Choir performance will be a song called “Balleilakka,” which comes from a Tamil, India, movie.
“Not only will students be singing in Tamil, they will be dancing as well, just like what one might expect from a Bollywood film,” Hui said. “I would encourage people to attend because it will be a fun and lighthearted way to celebrate the coming of spring.”
Soloists for the concert include:
- Elsa Capistrant-Kinney, soprano, first-year, art education, St. Boniface, Minn.
- Amanda Cook, soprano, junior, interior design, West Salem
- Sarah Dickson, soprano, senior, entertainment design, Chippewa Falls
- Kristienne Harris, bass, senior, business administration, Abbotsford
- Ira Hoffman, baritone, sophomore, computer science, Morris, Minn.
- Brianna King, soprano, sophomore, psychology, Stoughton
- Brendan Wojcik, tenor, first-year, undeclared, Menomonie
- Ethan Stewart, percussion, sophomore, computer networking and information technology, Eau Claire
UW-Stout is Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, with a focus on applied learning, collaboration with business and industry, and career outcomes.
UW-Stout’s Symphonic Singers will perform at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 910 9th St. E., at 4 p.m. Saturday, April 27.