46th and 47th alum to be honored
Bossert and Jones are the 46th and 47th alum to be honored on the Memorial Wall. Recently, archival information about their time as students at UW-Stout and military service became more readily available.
Stecklein and Archives Student Assistant Ingmar Amberson reviewed a list of potential Hall of Heroes honorees and identified the additional substantiation needed to establish the full biography necessary for formal inclusion. Amberson, of Menomonie, is a second-year student.
Jones attended UW-Stout, then called Stout Institute, from 1939 to 1941 before enlisting in 1942. He died during a combat aircraft training exercise in 1944 in Kansas.
Bossert, a 1999 Cochrane-Fountain City High School graduate, attended UW-Stout for one semester in 1999 before joining the service. He initially served in Korea and was killed by a car bomb at a checkpoint in 2005 in Ramadi, Iraq.
“The Hall of Heroes recognizes each individual as an eternal member of our campus community. Every honoree in the Hall of Heroes built friendships, experienced personal growth and connected with their contemporaries on campus in countless ways,” Stecklein said.
“As members of the current Stout community, we are called to recognize those who lost their lives serving our country. They contributed to the enduring effort that sustains our freedom and security. It is an honor to identify and memorialize these individuals,” she added.
With the new inductees, the wall includes one veteran of the Spanish-American War, six from World War I, 28 from World War II, two from the Korean War, eight from the Vietnam War, and two from the Iraq War.
To inquire about veterans who could be added to the Memorial Wall, contact Stecklein, firstname.lastname@example.org, 715-232-5418.
Memorial Student Center
The Memorial Student Center is named in honor of those from the university community who died as a result of combat, disease or accident while serving in the U.S. military during times of war or crisis.
The original Memorial Student Center, now the Communication Technologies Building, opened in 1959 when the university was called Stout State College. It included an engraved stone honoring fallen alumni.
The current student center opened in 1985. The engraved stone was saved and can be found outside of the lower level, south entrance of the building, near the memorial wall.