University of Wisconsin Stout | Wisconsin's Polytechnic University
UW-Stout’s Campus Guide.
Find your way around UW-Stout.
UW-Stout’s Campus Guide.
Find your way around UW-Stout.
UW-Stout's Administration building is home to the Chancellor's Office; the Provost's Office; Human Resources; Administrative and Student Life Services; Budget, Planning and Analysis; Career Services, Business and Financial Services, Student Business Services and University Communications.
These residence halls are located near the Memorial Student Center and offer convenient access to both academic and social activities. Originally a women's dormitory, McCalmont Hall now also includes office space in addition to housing for students.
Sara Keturah "Kit" Antrim served as director of physical education for womenfrom 1936 until her retirement in 1964. Lillian M. Froggatt served as Stout's head librarian from 1924, until her retirement in 1955. Mary M. McCalmont taught chemistry courses for 40 years at Stout, authored two laboratory manuals, served as an adviser to the YWCA and the Science Club, and counseled many students. She retired in 1952.
The Applied Arts Building opened in 1972 and houses the art and design department as well as classroom and laboratory space for the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Bowman Hall characterizes UW-Stout. Its solid traditional exterior houses a modern, efficient, computerized interior devoted to serving students. The building is home to a variety of services including the Advisement Office, Registration and Records, Student Services, and the Financial Aid Office, as well as classroom space.
The oldest existing structure at Stout, Bowman Hall was built in 1897 to replace an earlier wood structure that was leveled in a disastrous fire. Through the years, it has served as a classroom, laboratory and office building. Noted for its massive clock tower on the north end, Bowman serves as a landmark in the community and in the memory of every Stout graduate.
The building is named for Clyde A. Bowman, who came to Stout in 1919 to administer the industrial education division. His tenure spanned the administrations of three Stout Institute presidents, and served as a temporary president upon L.D. Harvey's death.
The Child and Family Study Center serves as a laboratory school and observation site for the B.S. in Early Childhood Education and related majors at the university. The center experience allows university students to link educational theory with practice.
The Communication Technologies Building, pictured at left houses the graphic communications labs where students can take a printing project from concept through printing and bindery.
These residence halls are conveniently close to many of the academic buildings on south campus as well as the Memorial Student Center and Merle M. Price Commons.
Over the years, Frederick L. Curran taught a variety of courses including woodworking, cabinetmaking, Venetian iron work, history of manual training and English. Curran retired in 1940, after 32 years of service. Ray F. Kranzusch taught radio, electrical work, auto mechanics and general shop for 40 years, retiring in 1964. Francis F. Tustison was a professor of math and physics who retired in 1951. Erich Oettlng served 24 years on the faculty and was the first dean of the school of education, retiring in 1969.
Fleming Hall is located on north campus just seven minutes from academic buildings on campus.
Thomas Fleming started at Stout as an instructor of freshman English and feature writing, and eventually he served as chair of the English department, and the university's director of public relations. He served at Stout for 16 years before his death at age 42 in a car accident.
Fryklund Hall, at right houses labs equipped for work in computer integrated manufacturing, materials processing, telecommunications and electronics. It is named for Verne C. Fryklund, president of Stout from 1945 to 1961.
The General Services Building is home for building maintenance; fleet vehicles; key control; custodial services; and facilities planning and engineering.
These residence halls are located in the south campus residence hall area and provide easy access to your academics.
H.M. Hansen taught woodworking, cabinetmaking and millwrighting from 1912 to 1952. Floyd Keith taught welding, sheet metal, foundry, general metals, machine shop and general motor maintenance for 38 years, retiring in 1960. Harold Milnes taught foundry and machine shop for 38 years, retiring in 1954. Dwight Chinnock taught in the metals department and later supervised the industrial education student teachers, retiring in 1969 after 29 years of service.
Originally called the household arts building, and later the home economics building, Harvey Hall was first occupied in 1916. Today the building is headquarters for the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, including office and classroom space for liberal studies. A 600-seat auditorium is home to Stout's theatre company.
Lorenzo Dow Harvey devoted most of his life to education and held many influential offices including president of the state normal schools in Milwaukee, state superintendent of public instruction, and president of the National Education Association. Harvey came to Menomonie in 1903 to head up the Stout Manual Training schools and serve as superintendent of the public school system. To simplify administration of the various Stout enterprises, the Stout Institute was created in 1908, and Harvey became its first president and served in that role until his death in 1922.
An experienced educator and administrator, Harvey was well suited to his role as president. He held a strong belief in the merits of manual training, domestic science, art and physical education. His reputation and influence aided in making vocational training an accredited part of education.
The heating plant provides steam for cooking, research equipment, hot water and heating the facilities throughout campus. The plant can operate on coal, natural gas and fuel oil. It also houses the campus central chilled water system which provides the air conditioning to the campus and an electrical substation that provides electrical power to all the buildings, systems and exterior lighting systems on campus.
Heritage Hall is headquarters for Stout's College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, as well classrooms and facilities for two other colleges. Facilities in the building include two restaurants that are operated by students and serve the campus and public. The Niche is a boutique managed by students who buy, price, advertise and sell the merchandise. A food testing laboratory allows commercial testing of foods and other products.
Formerly the Home Economics Building, new name reflects the history of the original home economics program dating back to the Stout Manual Training School. Home economics, by name, no longer is offered at UW-Stout but has evolved into other majors and programs.
Hovlid Hall is located on north campus just seven minutes from academic buildings on campus.
Leonard M. Hovlid grew up in Menomonie and attended the Stout Institute, and served as director of manual training at North Division High School in Milwaukee for 26 years. He died in 1959, leaving a substantial bequest to the university.
The Science Addition was opened in 2009 as part of a $43 million expansion/renovation of facilities for UW-Stout's science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs.
The Jarvis Hall Science Wing houses state of the art laboratories and classrooms for the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, as well as faculty offices. Jarvis Hall is named for John Jarvis who was instrumental in expanding Stout's role in technical education by creating what became the engineering technology degree.
The Jarvis Hall Technology Wing houses faculty and administrative offices for the College of Management as well as laboratories for plastics engineering, construction and engineering technology. Jarvis Hall is named for John Jarvis who was instrumental in expanding Stout's role in technical education by creating what became the engineering technology degree.
These residence halls are located on the hillside overlooking Lake Menomin on north campus, just a seven minute walk from academic buildings on campus.
Lillian Jeter was head of the clothing and textiles department, taught and supervised student teachers in the home economics areas of clothing, art and textiles. She served at Stout from 1927 to 1961. Tainter Hall is named for Bertha Tainter, wife of Andrew Tainter, a principle in the Knapp, Stout and Co., Company lumber empire. She sold the property on which JTC hall is located to James Stout for student housing. Gertrude Callahan served most of her career at Stout from 1921 to 1961 as the head of the English department.
The University Library which has holdings of more than a million items including audiovisual resources, journals, books and microformats. A computerized access system allows rapid searching for information from both in the library and at remote stations located outside the library. Scholarly workstations are available to access the Internet, World Wide Web and full-text online databases. Friendly and knowledgeable library information staff are available to assist users in their quest of information and research.
The Louis Smith Tainter House, once known to students as Eichelberger Hall, was designed by Harvey Ellis, an architect known for his influence on 19th century Midwestern architecture, using a style termed Richardsonian Romanesque.
The three-story stone mansion was built by lumber baron Andrew Tainter for his son, Louis. He and his wife lived there for several years and then sold the mansion to Paul Wilson, son of lumberman William Wilson.
In 1940, the property was seized by the county for back taxes. The Stout Institute obtained the historic home by paying the back taxes with funds from the Eichelberger legacy, an endowment received from a wealthy Horicon, Wisconsin family.
In 1945, the home was remodeled to serve as a women's dormitory. After additional residence halls were built, the building was used for office space. After further renovation, the building became home for the Stout University Foundation Inc. and the Stout Alumni Association.
The Memorial Student Center is a "community center" for members of the UW-Stout community -- students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni and guests. It is a place to get to know and understand one another. It also provides opportunities to learn through involvement and experimentation.
The center represents a building, an organization, and a program which supports and enhances the special mission of UW-Stout by providing quality facilities, services and programs to the university community.
Fireside Café on the upper level, and the Skylight Market on the lower level, offer a variety of food concepts. The Involvement Center and Service Center are conveniently located in the main traffic lane of the lower level. The center is also able to host all types of meetings, conferences and special events in the Great Hall, the Crystal Ballrooms, nine meeting rooms and an outdoor amphitheatre.
Memorial Student Center is dedicated to the students of Stout who died in war that others may live.
Price Commons is the location of the main campus food services, mail services for south campus residence halls and serves as a conference and meeting center.
The facility is named for Merle M. Price who served Stout for 42 years as dean of men and later dean of students. Few faculty members at Stout have affected the personal lives of students to a greater degree than Price. He also taught courses in social science and education.
Micheels Hall is named in honor of William J. Micheels who, between 1961 and 1972, served as president of what was then Stout State College and Stout State University.
During his inaugural address, he pledged to make liberal arts an integral core in the education of Stout students, in keeping with the philosophy of the school's founder, James Huff Stout, who believed in educating "the whole student." He also envisioned an art program that would serve as a bridge on the campus between technology and liberal studies. Today, the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest academic unit on campus, and the department of art and design is the largest in the state.
Micheels Hall links Jarvis Hall and the Applied Arts Building. It houses an art gallery, a general access computer lab and other educational facilities.
Millennium Hall is home to UW-Stout's Learning and Information Technology unit which includes Learning Technology Services, Enterprise and Information Systems, Telecommunications and Networking, the Nakatani Teaching and Learning Center, the ASK5000 Help Desk, distance education classrooms and multi-media studios. It also serves as home to the Admissions Office, welcoming prospective students and their parents to campus.
North Hall is located in the south campus residence hall area and offers convenient access to the Merle Price Commons.
North Point Dining and Fitness Center is the location of food services and a fitness center for north campus residence halls. The facility opened in fall 2010.
The Office of International Education provides study abroad and other international opportunities to faculty and students, as well services to international students and scholars.
The suite-style Red Cedar Hall offers residents privacy, space and updated amenities. Each four-person suite boasts single bedrooms, a living room, kitchenette and private bathroom. The building has two elevators and is air-conditioned.
UW-Stout's Swanson Learning Center is home to the University Library, the Graduate School, the University Honors College, the Instructional Resources office (textbook rental program), and the Area Research Center and University Archives.
South Hall located in the south campus residence hall area and offers convenient access to the Merle Price Commons.
The Sports and Fitness Center houses the department of physical education education and is home to three levels of athletic competition including intramurals, club sports, and Stout's NCAA Division III varsity teams. It also houses classrooms, a 200-meter indoor track and other recreational and athletics facilities.
The Student Health Services building is located on North Campus on 1st Ave. W. across the street from Wigen Hall. Center staff are committed to promoting and maintaining a healthy campus community.
The University Services Building houses police and parking services; safety and risk management; the campus mailroom, purchasing, printing services, surplus property; and grounds maintenance.
The Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute provides a wide array of continuing education training, research, informational resources, as well as direct services to people with disabilities. SVRI's mission is two fold: 1) to improve the quality of life for people with disabilities and 2) to prepare students enrolled in the Vocational Rehabilitation majors at UW-Stout to become highly qualified professionals serving people with disabilities
Wigen Hall is located on north campus just seven minutes from academic buildings on campus.
Ray Wigen is credited with gaining nationwide recognition for Stout's graduate program. Wigen started teaching shopwork in 1933 and in 1946 became dean of the graduate college, where he served for 20 years.