Grade Change Policy and Procedure

 Students who feel they have received an incorrectly recorded or question the validity of a grade they have received should contact the instructor directly.  Assessment of student performance in the form of grades requires professional judgment by teaching faculty and academic staff.

Grounds for Appeal

Students shall be afforded an opportunity to seek redress of perceived grievances concerning the course grades assigned by faculty and academic staff.  Recognizing that the evaluation of student performance is based on the professional judgment of the instructor, a grade change will only be considered if based on one or more of the following factors:

  • An error was made in the grade computation, or the grading was based on factors other than those stated in the course syllabus or that were prejudicial or capricious.
  • The student shall bear the burden of proof in establishing the existence of the above factor/s.  Appeal of a grade must be made within one year of the time the grade was assigned.


Process for Appeal

A student wishing to challenge a grade must first contact the instructor with documentation of an error.  When an instructor maintains the accuracy of the grade in question, a student’s next recourse is submitting a written request to the Department Chair for mediation between the student and the instructor.  In the event that the instructor is no longer employed by UW-Stout, the student would directly contact the Department Chair who will review the grade sheets on file and course syllabus against the student’s documentation of an error.

If the instructor (or Department Chair if the instructor is no longer employed) determines that a grade change should be made, appropriate action shall be taken to effect the change.  However, if the instructor or Department Chair maintains the accuracy of the course grade, the student may then file a written request for a hearing with the Office of Dean of Students.