Advisement FAQ

On this page:

How do I register for classes?

Registration process for HDFS majors:

  1. Get an updated copy of your Program Requirements Report. It is available online at AccessStout. Information as to how to run your Advising Report is found on the Advisement Center website.

  2. Review the Course Timetable for available courses for the next semester on AccessStout.

  3. Schedule an appointment with your adviser (prior to your registration date).

  4. Create a class schedule for the next semester.

  5. Meet with your adviser. Bring with you:
    • An updated Program Requirement Report
    • Your personal four year plan
    • Proposed schedule for next semester

  6. You may register for courses online or in person. Read "How to Register for Classes Using Access Stout."  [PDF]

What if I don't get a class I really need?

First try to add the class. Take an add/drop card and go to the professor teaching the class and ask for an overload in the class. If the instructor will not overload, ask if there is a waiting list your name can be added to. Another option would be to attend the first day of class and ask the professor to add you to the class. Also talk to your advisor about other courses that you could possibly take.

What is my role in the advisement process?

  1. Prepare adequately for any advising session (concerns and questions) and bring a copy of your current degree audit/program evaluation with you to the session.

  2. Clarify personal values, abilities, interests, and goals with your adviser.

  3. Contact and make an appointment with the adviser when required or when in need of assistance. If the student finds it impossible to keep the appointment, the student will notify the advisor.

  4. Be knowledgeable about institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
    • The Undergraduate Bulletin contains information about:  General Information, Glossary of Academic Terms, Degree Programs, Minors, Specializations, Professional Development Certificates, Course Descriptions.
    • The Student Handbook contains information about: Academic Procedures, Financial Information, Resources and Services, Resolving Complaints.
    • Visit the Advisement Resources page.

  5. Follow through on actions identified during each advising session.

  6. Accept final responsibility for all decisions. 

Substitutions, Waivers and Concentrations

Substitutions, waivers and concentrations should be discussed with your adviser and/or program director! Forms are available here:

  • Substitution Form [PDF]
    Substitutions are completed when your adviser and program director deems that coursework you have taken is identical or similar to a course you must take.  These need to be discussed with your adviser and/or program director and you may be asked to submit documentation to help in this decision. The documentation is usually a course syllabus.

  • Waiver Form [PDF]
    In rare cases you may have a waiver.  An example might be that you have transferred in five credits of math and your adviser and program director may decide that no more math is needed.  Again these need to be discussed with your adviser and/or program director and the waiver form completed stating a rationale.

    In all forms please note that not only the program director's signature is needed but others' are needed as well, consequently this process can take some time. It is best to do substitutions and waivers as soon as possible.

  • Concentration Approval Form [PDF]
    As part of the requirements for graduation, students are required to complete a Concentration Approval form if completing a concentration instead of a minor or specialization. This should be done with your adviser. You will list on the form the courses you have selected that best represents your area of interest. The actual form should be completed with your adviser upon registration for the last credits used for the concentration.