The individual and work incentive benefits specialist meet to discuss the individual's current benefits, anticipated earnings, and specific questions from the individual. The work incentive benefits specialist can travel to the individuals' local area for meetings or conduct the intake over the phone if preferred.
The work incentive benefits specialist then verifies and analyzes benefits the individual receives such as Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, FoodShare, Energy Assistance, Housing Assistance, and any others. The work incentive benefits specialist then writes a comprehensive individualized report.
This report includes:
- Explanation of benefits currently receiving.
- Relevant work incentives which ease return-to-work concerns.
- Answers to the individual's specific questions.
- Calculations and specific events that will occur in work scenario(s) being considered.
- Comparison of the individual's current financial situation with earnings and benefits in anticipated work scenarios.
At the conclusion, the work incentive benefits specialist, individual, and anyone else invited by the individual such as family or Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) counselor meet to discuss the report and ensure that the information provided is understood. The work incentive benefits specialist is also available to answer questions in the year following the report. This can help diminish future concerns as they may arise when returning to work.