Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to reveal the answer:

What is Work-Study?

Work-study is a federally-funded form of financial aid that is based on your financial need and is available to eligible students as part of their financial award. You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to qualify for Work-Study. If you receive Work-Study you may search for jobs designated as Work-Study.

How do I quality for Work-Study?

To work under the Work-Study program you will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) because Work-Study is based on a financial need. Look on your award notification for a Work-Study award, listed as a dollar amount.

What is State Payroll?

State Payroll is a state funded student work program. State Payroll dollars must be allocated to a department before they are able to hire students under the program, therefore, limiting the availability of jobs and creating higher competition for State Payroll positions. If you didn't apply for financial aid, or did not receive Work-Study in your financial aid notification letter, you may still search for jobs designated as State Payroll.

How do I qualify for State Payroll?

In order to work as a State Payroll employee you must be enrolled in at least one 1 credit course each semester at UW-Stout. Students who are only auditing classes or who are working on incomplete credits do not qualify. There are no financial/income restrictions to qualify for State Payroll.

Where do I get my paycheck?

All students are paid via direct deposit. This free service offers a fast, dependable and safe method for student employees to receive their pay. Failure to complete the required direct deposit authorization will result in a delay of payment. Deposits can be made to any bank of your choice or to your Stout One Card. The direct deposit form is available in Human Resources, the Financial Aid Office or online. Human resources can answer any questions you may have.

If you choose to have your check deposited onto your Stout One Card, you will have to activate your account on the Stout One Card website and sign up for direct deposit online or complete the direct deposit authorization form and send it to the Human Resources Office (203 Administration Building).

How long will it take until I see some money?

You will receive your first check approximately three weeks after your supervisor submits your work-hours for processing. Refer to the payroll schedules.

How much will I make per hour?

Wages vary depending on the position and range from $7.25/hour (federal minimum wage) to $16.70/hour. Higher wages are paid in higher level jobs, according to the UW-Stout wage structure for student employment.

What about taxes?

You must complete the tax information forms that will be provided to you when hired. Contact the Human Resources Office with any questions you have about tax forms.

What are my employment responsibilities?

Understand what your employer expects of you and ask your supervisor about work requirements. Establish a work schedule with your supervisor that you can meet. Do not work more than 40 hours per week, and do not exceed your Work-Study earning limit. Campus employment is meant to help train you in your career. Your supervisor can be an excellent reference for your resume, if you do your best.

What are my employment rights?

  1. UW-Stout is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution committed to diversity in its people and programs.

  2. UW-Stout employees are reminded that university rules, policies and practices prohibit the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of controlled substances on all university property and work sites, with any violation resulting in disciplinary action up to and including discharge or expulsion.

  3. You may contact the Student Employment Coordinator who is located in the Financial Aid Office about an employment concern, if you and your supervisor can't resolve it.

What should I do if I feel that I am being discriminated against?

Contact either your supervisor or the Affirmative Action Office on campus.

When do I look for a job?

Campus jobs are in high demand so it is recommended to search for a job immediately - within the first two weeks of the semester. Even though the best time to locate a job is at the beginning of each semester job openings are available throughout the year. Check the job postings weekly.

When do students usually start working on campus?

Students who work, usually begin working in their freshman year. Approximately 66% of UW-Stout students work while attending school at on-campus or off-campus jobs.

Is there a limit to the number of hours I can work?

Generally, students work on campus an average of 8-10 hours a week. They have the option to work more depending on your schedule, the needs of your campus employer, and the dollar amount of your Work-Study award. If working at a Work-Study job wages earned must remain within your awarded limit. In addition, you and your on-campus employer will set a work schedule for you based on your needs. However, due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) policy students can only work up to 25 hours a week.  When classes are not in session (WinTerm, Spring Break, Summer), except the weeks indicated on the ACA calendar that are limited to 25 hours student may work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.

How do I apply for a job?

Determine if you qualify for Work-Study and/or State Payroll by reading the information provided on the UW-Stout Student Jobs web site. If you are not sure, call the Financial Aid Office at (715) 232-1363.

The Financial Aid Office will help you determine what work type you qualify for. You may review the jobs available; either at the on this website or on the Job Board outside the Financial Aid Office, 210 Bowman Hall. These postings are updated weekly throughout the year.

Once you have found a job you're interested in, fill out a job application and contact the supervisor by e-mail, the listed phone number or in person.

Once you are hired, you will need to fill out all required payroll forms. You must have a picture ID and an original Social Security Card.