Dear UW-Stout Parent/Guardian,

On behalf of the University of Wisconsin-Stout Student Health Services, I extend to you a very warm welcome.  The health services focuses on maximizing students' well-being as they strive to meet their academic and extracurricular goals.  In order to meet your student's health care needs, UW-Stout provides a clinic on campus. The clinic is located on the north end of campus, across from Wigen Hall (residence hall).  In the event that health care is needed our physician, nurse practitioners and registered nurses are here to provide their expertise and care.

The Student Health Services is open 8AM-4:30PM Monday-Friday during the academic year. WinTerm hours are 12-4:30PM.  In the event of an emergency, severe illness or injury, we have an excellent hospital nearby (Mayo Health System) and ambulance services is always available.

If your student has a chronic illness/ongoing medical condition, please encourage them to schedule an appointment with one of our providers and let us get to know them and their needs.  A summary of care or a copy of your student's medical record re: the chronic illness/ongoing condition is beneficial to us in managing their care.

UW-Stout collects a health fee in the student tuition costs; however this fee funds part of the services for your student.  There are NO charges/ fees for clinician visits for illnesses, problems, or injuries, however there are fees for select visits/ services/ supplies such as: routine physicals and wellness exams as well as some procedures and medications.  There is a flat fee for laboratory work for those student who have lab tests performed during their visit.  You can access our price list @  All fees will be submitted to the student's business account.  Students are advised to check their account to settle their charges.  The Student Business Office accepts payments online, in-person via direct debit from a checking or savings account, and credit/debit cards. If you would like to have charges/ fees submitted to your health insurance plan, please have your student request a Statement of Services which can be submitted directly to your health insurance company. 

The university also offers health insurance that students may purchase. If you need health insurance, information and an application regarding the university's sponsored plan is available @ , or call 715/235-6133.  You will receive a mailing from the University sponsored health insurance plan during the summer months.

A physical exam is not required; however your student's immunizations should be updated by their health care provider.  Wisconsin residents are encouraged to access the Wisconsin Immunization Registry (WIR) to obtain accurate immunization records.  

Services provided at the Student Health Services are listed in our pamphlet which is distributed to all incoming students at the Orientation/Registration program.  This information is also available through  

Please join us at orientation and the Resource Fair where Student Health Services will be available to answer your questions.  You may email us at or me directly at

We wish you and your student a pleasant year and hope UW-Stout provides the opportunities anticipated.

Please have the insurance information form and immunization record completed and returned to the Student Health Services by the first day of classes.  Make a copy to keep with your personal records.


Janice Lawrence Ramaeker

Director, Student Health Services


back to top



If your student has reached the age of 18, their medical information is confidential.  As your student's health care provider, we are legally required to protect the privacy of their health information.   We cannot provide you with any of their health information unless they sign an Authorization to Release Medical Records.  However in the case of a medical emergency where there is an issue of life or death, we will contact you immediately.

back to top



Students under the age of 18 must have parental permission to obtain health care at the Student Health Services.  If your son or daughter will be under the age of 18 when entering UW-Stout, please complete this Consent for Treatment form and return to the Student Health Services.

back to top



A physical exam is not required.  Your student will be asked to complete a health history form upon their 1st visit to the Student Health Services. This is a confidential health history and will remain in the student's medical chart.

If your student has chronic medical problems, we recommend that you have their medical provider send us a copy/summary of their medical records.  This enables us to better coordinate care with your primary care health care provider.

back to top



The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has made the following immunization recommendations for young adults. Be sure that your student's vaccination are up to date.  These vaccinations can be obtained from your local clinic or health department. 

  1. Measles, Mumps, Rubella:  All entering college students born after 1957 should have had 2 vaccinations with the combination vaccine for these diseases (MMR vaccine).  There are individual vaccines for each of these diseases.  If individual vaccinations were administered, two individual doses of the measles vaccine, one of the mumps vaccine, and one of the rubella vaccine should have been given.

    The 1st dose of the MMR or measles vaccine should not be counted if given younger than 12 month of age.

  2. Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td):  After the initial series, a booster is needed every ten years.

  3. Polio:  This vaccine is routinely given to all infants.  A booster may be needed for foreign travel after age 18.

  4. Varicella:  Chickenpox can be a severe (even fatal) disease in adults.  If your student has not had the disease, this vaccination is recommended (2 injections 1 month apart). Some persons are immune even though they are not aware they had the disease.  A blood test is available to see if one has had the disease. Persons with a negative result should be vaccinated.

  5. Meningitis:  Neisseria Meningitides causes a rare but severe and frequently fatal disease called Meningitis. While this disease is no more common in college students than in the general population (about 1 in 100,000 students), it is 5 times more common in freshmen that live in residence halls (1 in 20,000 students).  While the risk of contracting this disease is low, it can be rapidly fatal if contracted.  This vaccine is recommended if your student will be a freshman living in the residence halls.

  6. Hepatitis B:  3 shot series required for immunity.  This disease can be acutely fatal, or cause liver cancer many years later. Many students have already been vaccinated for this disease.  This vaccine is recommended for all college students who have not had the disease or prior immunizations.  It is spread through blood, blood products, sharing needles or sexual contact.

  7. Hepatitis A:  2 shot series required for immunity. This is a serious liver disease. The disease is spread primarily through food or water contaminated by stool from an infected person. Vaccination is recommended for all children, for travelers to certain countries, and for people at high risk for infection with the virus.

  8. Human Papillomavirus (HPV):  3 shot series. This is the most common sexually transmitted virus in the US.  HPV can cause cervical, vaginal and vulvar cancer in women and genital warts in both males and females.

  9. Flu Shot:  Yearly flu vaccination should begin in September or as soon as vaccine is available and continue throughout the influenza season.  Everyone should get the flu vaccine each flu season.  It is especially important that anyone with a respiratory or other medical conditions that could compromise their ability to fight infection get the flu shot each year.  Sometimes these other conditions are exacerbated by lack of adequate hours of sleep and poor nutritional intake…many college students have both of these factors?

Cost and availability information will be made known through the Student Health Services website and email notification will be sent to students in late September/October.

back to top



The providers at the health services include board certified physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurse clinicians, licensed practical nurse - SHS Staff.  The health services offers laboratory, limited pharmacy, primary care, men and women's health, preventive health care, immunizations minor procedures, and health education.

Services Available and Services Not Available

back to top



Although insurance is not required to receive treatment at the Health Services, all students are strongly encouraged to have some form of health insurance.  if you student is not insured or is under insured, we strongly urge you to get adequate coverage. Though many of the costs are minimal at the health services, we do not provide trauma care, specialty care, hospital care or various types of diagnostic testing.  The university sponsors a health insurance plan through Jeatran Associates. It is important that your student carries a copy of their health insurance card and understands their health insurance plan coverage.  If your student does not have insurance, please have them notify us when they check in for their appointment, and we can assist them in making financial arrangements.

Student Health Insurance Plan

back to top



The Student Health Services carries a very limited supply of pharmaceuticals (i.e., contraceptives, antibiotics, inhaler). If your student needs to get prescriptions filled regularly, please have their prescription transferred to a pharmacy in Menomonie.  Click to visit a page with the listed pharmacies located in Menomonie.

back to top



The diagnosis of learning disabilities, i.e.  ADD/ADHD is made by a qualified medical professional.  The SHS requires that the proof of this diagnosis be submitted for review and inclusion in your medical record before ongoing prescriptions of ADD medications can be provided.  The physicians and nurse practitioners at the SHS do not diagnose ADD, but can assist with the treatment.  Click to view policy.

A list of some local professionals who provide evaluations and diagnosis of ADD/ADHS is available at the SHS or click here.

back to top



At the University of Wisconsin-Stout, a multidisciplinary approach is taken to the treatment of eating disorders. Professionals around campus in the areas of physical, nutritional, and mental health work together to provide a student struggling with eating disorder symptoms with comprehensive care. UW-Stout Eating Disorder Multidisciplinary Team Treatment and Referral Guidelines is the criteria composed by the UW-Stout Multidisciplinary Eating Disorder Team to assist the team in determining the appropriate level of treatment for a student with eating disorder behaviors.

back to top



It is common for students to experience times when they feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities of college, work, family, and relationships. The University Counseling Center UCC,, is here to help students cope with stresses and personal issues that can interfere with their ability to perform in school and everyday tasks. UCC provides short-term, problem-focused counseling, aimed at building better skills and exploring alternative ways of coping.

If your student calls in crisis:

back to top



Sharp containers are available at no charge to student with chronic health issues that may require injectable medications.  Students may bring their filled sharps containers to the health service building for proper disposal.  A new container will be given in exchange for the filled ones at no charge.

back to top



In the event of an emergency, severe illness or injury we have an excellent hospital nearby (Mayo Health System) and ambulance services is always available.  Emergency care is readily available by dialing 911.  Your student will be transported to:

Mayo Clinic Health System - Red Cedar
2321 Stout Road
Menomonie, WI  5475

back to top