Welcome to University of Wisconsin-Stout Student Health Services, a service focused on providing high quality care to our students that enhances their well being, learning and success.
We are available to answer your questions, email us. 
General Help Desk: health@uwstout.edu
Janice Ramaeker, Student Health Services Director: ramaekerj@uwstout.edu

back to top



If your student has reached the age of 18, their medical information is confidential.  As your student’s health care provider, we are legally required to protect the privacy of their health information.  

We cannot provide you with any of their health information unless they sign an Authorization to Release Medical Records. Download the PDF.

 In the case of a medical emergency where there may be an issue of harm to self, harm to other and/or of life or death, we may contact you without the consent of your student.

back to top



A physical exam is not required; however your student’s immunizations should be updated by their health care provider. Wisconsin residents are encouraged to access the Wisconsin Immunization Registry (WIR) to obtain accurate immunization records. Out of state students should check with their state regarding a similar immunization registry to obtain records if necessary. 

Your student will be asked to complete a health history form upon 1st visit to the Student Health Services. This is a confidential self report health history and will remain in the student’s medical chart.

Chronic Illness/ Ongoing Medical Condition

If your student has a chronic illness/ongoing medical condition, please encourage them to schedule an appointment with one of our providers and let us get to know them and their needs. A summary of care or a copy of your student’s medical record is beneficial to us in managing their care.

back to top



Although UW-Stout does not have a specific immunization requirement, it is important that all students are up to date on their vaccinations. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has made the following immunization recommendations for young adults. Review your student's immunization record and arrange to get any missing vaccinations before coming to campus. Vaccinations are available from your local clinic or health department. More information at CDC

1.      Measles, Mumps, Rubella:  

All entering college students born after 1957 should have had 2 doses of this vaccination. The first dose of the MMR given after 1st birthday. 

2.     Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td) or Tetanus-Diptheria-Pertussis (Tda): 

After the initial series, a booster is needed every ten years. The most recent booster should be the Tda vaccine, which includes protection against pertussis.

4.     Varicella: 

If your student has not had chicken pox as a child, this vaccination is recommended (2 injections 1 month apart).

5.     Meningitis: 

Neisseria Meningitides causes a rare but severe and frequently fatal disease call Meningitis. While this disease is no more common in college students than in the general population (about 1 in 100,000 students), it is 5 times more common in freshmen that live in residence halls (1 in 20,000 students). While the risk of contracting this disease is low, it can be rapidly fatal if contracted. This vaccine is recommended if your student will be a freshman living in the residence halls.

6.     Hepatitis B 

3 shot series required for protection. This vaccine is recommended for all young adults prior to entering college.

7.     Hepatitis A

Vaccination is recommended for all children, for travelers to certain countries, and for people at high risk of infection with the virus. Two shot series required for protection. 
The disease is spread primarily through food or water contaminated by stool from an infected person. 

8.     Human Papillomavirus (HPV): 

Three shot series vaccine recommended for all women ages 11-26 and men ages 11-21.

9.     Flu Shot: 

Yearly flu vaccination should begin in September or as soon as vaccine is available and continue throughout the influenza season. Everyone should get the flu vaccine each flu season. It is especially important that anyone with a respiratory or other medical conditions that could compromise their ability to fight infection get the flu shot each year. College students at high risk of complications from the flu are students who have asthma, diabetes, certain immunodeficiency, and frequently have contact with a high-risk individual.

Cost and availability information will be made known through the Student health Services website and email notification.

back to top



UW-Stout provides an on campus clinic staffed by:

  • Physicians
  • Psychiatrist
  • Nurse Practitioners
  • Registered Nurses
  • Licensed Practical Nurses
  • Laboratory Services
View the full staff list.

List of offered services: Price List


back to top



Students may use Student Health Services regardless of your health insurance coverage. Although insurance is not required to receive treatment at the health services, all students are strongly encouraged to have some form of health insurance.

We do directly bill your student's health insurance for office visits, certain procedures, lab work and supplies.

Please remember to provide your student with a copy of his/her insurance card (front & back).

Not all insurance companies will pay for services received; please contact your insurance company regarding coverage at the university’s medical clinic for students. 

As a provision of the health segregated fee, student will not be charged for co-pay/co-insurances. Services not covered by insurance and balances due because the charges were applied to an insurance deductible are the student’s responsibility and will be billed to the student’s account. 

All charges that are the student’s responsibility will be transferred to the student’s business account and can be paid online or in person. For additional information, visit Fees/Billing/Insurance.

It is important that your student carries a copy of their health insurance card and understands their health insurance plan coverage.  If your student does not have insurance, is under insured, an/or has a high deductible plan, please have them notify us when they check in for their appointment, and we can assist you in making financial arrangements.

If your policy does not meet your student's need, one option is the university sponsored health insurance plan through Jeatran Associates:

Student Health Insurance Plan

back to top



The Student Health Services carries a very limited supply of pharmaceuticals (i.e. antibiotics, anti-depressants, contraceptives, inhaler, and over-the-counter meds). The medications are provided at low cost to students and not billed to health insurance. Prescriptions can also be provided when medications are needed. Students can have the prescriptions filled at a local pharmacy.

If your student needs to get prescriptions filled regularly, please have their prescription transferred to a pharmacy in Menomonie. 

Download list: Pharmacies located in Menomonie

back to top



The Student Health Services' physicians and nurse practitioners do not diagnose ADD/ADHD, but can assist with the treatment. For ongoing treatment for ADD/ADHD, Student Health Services requires documentation of this diagnosis by the previous treating physician or licensed professional to be submitted for review and inclusion in your medical records before ongoing medication is prescribed.

Download the University Policy

A list of some local professionals who provide evaluations and diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is available through the SHS.

Download the List of Providers.

back to top



At the University of Wisconsin-Stout, a multidisciplinary approach is taken to the treatment of eating disorders. Campus professionals in the areas of physical, nutritional, and mental health, work together to provide a student struggling with eating disorder symptoms with comprehensive care.

UW-Stout Eating Disorder Multidisciplinary Team Treatment and Referral Guidelines  

The link is criteria composed by the UW-Stout Multidisciplinary Eating Disorder Team to assist the team in determining the appropriate level of treatment for a student with eating disorder behaviors.

back to top



It is common for students to experience times when they feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities of college, work, family, and relationships. The University Counseling Center (UCC), is here to help students cope with stresses and personal issues that can interfere with their ability to perform in school and everyday tasks. UCC provides short-term, problem-focused counseling, aimed at building better skills and exploring alternative ways of coping.

If your student calls in crisis:

back to top



Sharp containers are available at no charge to student with chronic health issues that may require injectable medications.  Students can pick up a sharps container and drop off filled sharps containers at the Student Health Center.

back to top



In the event of an emergency, severe illness or injury we have an excellent hospital nearby (Mayo Health System) and ambulance services is always available.  Emergency care is readily available by dialing 911.  

Your student will be transported to:

Mayo Clinic Health System - Red Cedar
2321 Stout Road
Menomonie, WI  5475

back to top