New Student Frequently Asked Questions

D2L (Desire2Learn)

What is D2L?

D2L (aka Desire2Learn or Learn@UW-Stout) is the online course management tool that is used by professors and students for grades, class materials, quizzes, discussion boards, etc.

How do I log onto D2L?

Go to the Login page for D2L. Enter your UW-Stout username and password (the same one you use for your e-mail) to login.

I still have questions about D2L.

Read the D2L site's Frequently Asked Questions.


Do I have to pay for my textbooks?


At UW-Stout you are able to check out your text books for the semester for no additional charge from Instructional Resources Services (IRS).

How can I contact Instructional Resources Services (IRS)

Instructional Resources Service
201 Robert S. Swanson Library Learning Center
University of Wisconsin-Stout
315 Tenth Avenue E. 201
Menomonie, WI 54751

Phone: 715-232-2492



Can I have my textbooks mailed to me?

Students who are unable to come to campus and pick up their textbooks in person can go here and fill out the Distance Education Textbook Request to have their materials mailed to them.

Distance Learning Services

Can I still access library materials if I am a distance learner?

Yes. For more details visit the University Library site's page on Distance Learning Services.

Is there a site for Online and Distance Learning?

UW-Stout Online is the website for Online and Distance Learning.

I still have questions about Online and Distance Education.

You can view a complete list of Frequently Asked Questions about Online and Distance Education here.

Financial Aid and Billing

What are the tuition rates?

You can find current tuition rates here.

How do I apply for financial aid?

For instructions and information on financial aid, you can visit the Financial Aid Office online here.

I still have questions about financial aid.

You can view Frequently Asked Questions on the Financial Aid website here.

Where do I go if I have a questions about billing statements regarding tuition, fees and other charges?

Student Business Services functions as the central billing service for students.

Registration and Records

How do I find classes using Access Stout?

Instructions on how to search and find classes on Access Stout are located here [PDF].

How do I register for classes using Access Stout?

You can read instructions on how to register for classes using Access Stout here [PDF].

I still have questions about Registration and Records.

If you can't find the answer on the Registration and Records site, you can contact them using this online form.

In addition, don't hesitate to contact Jeanne in the Graduate School via e-mail at or phone at (715)232-2211.