Graduation Information

Submission of the following items is required to graduate.  Deadlines are listed.  However, students are encouraged to submit the forms by the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate.


Degree Candidacy Approval Form and Program Plan

The approval form [PDF] needs to include all appropriate attachments (e.g. program plan, Request to Transfer Credit form [DOC]). 


May 2015 graduates
February 23, 2015
August 2015 graduates
July 6, 2015


Apply to Graduate

Please note that students should only apply to graduate for the term in which they will have met all requirements for their degree program (including all coursework, internships, research/thesis papers, and other materials). UW-Stout hosts commencement ceremonies twice each academic year in order to allow degree candidates to participate in a ceremony as close as possible to the time that degree requirements will be completed. Winter Commencement is held at the end of each Fall semester in December. Students who have completed or will complete all requirements for their degree during the Fall semester or WinTerM should participate in the Winter Commencement ceremony. Spring Commencement is held at the end of spring semester in May. Students who have completed or will complete all requirements during the spring semester or summer sessions should participate in the Spring Commencement ceremony.

All students must complete an application for graduation regardless of Commencement Ceremony participation (again, apply for the term in which you will meet the requirements for your degree, not for the term in which you will participate in a commencement ceremony). Instructions are available on how to apply via Access Stout.  A $50 graduation fee payment is required at the time of application. All required forms must be submitted to the Graduate School office prior to applying for graduation (Degree Candidacy Approval Form, Program Plan, and others as listed above). If you do not apply by the date listed, it is still possible to graduate in that term. However, your name and degree information may not appear in the corresponding printed commencement program.

Please click here for additional information for Graduate School degree candidates. You may also contact Amy Corr ( or 715-232-2452) in the Graduate School office if you have any other questions or concerns.


May 2015 graduates April 3, 2015
August 2015 graduates
April 3, 2015


Research Paper:

Final adviser-approved research papers are to be submitted to the Graduate School via email to Amy Corr at The research adviser must also be included on the submission email. Research papers must be received in the Graduate School office by 4pm on the deadline date listed. These are hard deadlines and late submissions will result in not graduating until the next term. Consult the Research Project Guide for information regarding your research paper.

An Appointment of Research Adviser/Chair and Committee form (available on the Forms and Policies page) must be submitted before enrolling in a research paper course and before graduating. Completion of the Human Subjects Training through Research Services is required prior to data collection.


May 2015
May 15, 2015 
August 2015
July 31, 2015


Commencement Information:

Information regarding the commencement ceremony, caps and gown, and tickets can be found on UW-Stout's commencement page.

Continuous Enrollment Course

Students who have previously registered for all of the necessary coursework credits and research requirements on their approved program of study, but who have not completed their research project will be registered for continuous enrollment credit (TRDIS 700) each additional semester and/or summer session until degree completion. This applies to students who have previously received an Incomplete (I) or an In Progress (IP) grade. This will ensure that you have access to the library, laboratories, faculty and other benefits. 

Continuous enrollment credits will not count toward requirements for the degree. The fee for continuous enrollment of $100 per term cannot be waived. Please check the Student Business Office website for payment due dates and how to make a payment.