Select from the topics below to learn more:

  »  Transfer Credit Policy

Credit is awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs; this includes courses that are technical or vocational in nature. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.

  »  Equivalent Credit

Courses completed at other colleges or universities that have descriptions that closely match the descriptions of courses taught at UW-Stout generally will transfer as a direct course equivalent.


  »  Elective Credit

College level courses completed at other colleges or universities that do not transfer exactly as a UW-Stout course will transfer as an elective course within that discipline or a related discipline. Elective credits may count toward a degree in the same way that a direct course equivalent does. 

  »  Credit by Exam

We offer credit for a variety of exams, including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and the College-Level Examination Program. Students may also "test out" of a course by means of a Credit by Departmental Exam where you feel you may have the knowledge or experience required—contact the department offering the course.

For detailed information on how to test out via a departmental exam, visit the Registration and Records website.

  »  Military Experience

Credit may be awarded for military experience or military school training. Learn more on the Credit for Prior Learning page.


  »  Work Experience

Academic credit may be awarded for what has been learned through the normal course of job (work) related responsibilities or training. Learn more on the Credit for Prior Learning page.

  »  Degree Requirements

Specific degree requirements differ among the various UW-Stout majors. Transfer credit will be applied toward degree requirements appropriately, depending upon which major and/or degree you intend to complete. To learn more about degree and major requirements, consult the Undergraduate Bulletin or the appropriate undergraduate major consulting the corresponding program plan. 

  »  Credit Limits

There is no specific limit on the number of credits a student can transfer. In order to earn a degree at UW-Stout, all students must complete a minimum of 32 credits of work here.

  »  Transfer Limitations

Credits from other institutions are recorded on your UW-Stout permanent record. Grades and honors points do not transfer. Only grades earned at UW-Stout are used to compute grade point average on your UW-Stout transcript. At the point of graduation, all credits completed at UW-Stout and additional credits accepted at UW-Stout (as indicated on the transcript and Degree Audit) from all previous institutions attended will be used to determine possible graduation with honors.

  »  Planning Ahead

If you are thinking about transferring to UW-Stout, there are several ways to find out about transfer credit before you make your decision. Credit agreements have been worked out with all the University of Wisconsin Colleges and a number of other schools in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois. Students within the UW Colleges or the Wisconsin Technical College System may have access to the Transfer Information System (TIS) to determine transferability of courses. Contact the Student Services Office on your campus for more information.

Finally, to assure that your credits will transfer, be in contact with the Transfer Coordinator.