PI-34 Initial Educator

Mail the application form and DPI license fee for all licenses to:

Heather Klanderman, Certifying Officer
School of Education Office
267 Heritage Hall
Menomonie, WI  54751

Please contact Heather Klanderman (klandermanh@uwstout.edu or 715-232-4088) if you have questions about these processes.

Wisconsin - Licensure 

Initial Educator License (Teacher, School Counselor, School Psychologist):

Apply for an Initial In-State Teaching or Pupil Services license using form PI-1602-IS. 

The Certifying Officer will request your transcript, endorse the application, mail it directly to DPI, and issue you a Verification of Program Completion form to show that the application is in process.

Career and Technical Education (93) License

Apply for a Career and Technical Education (93) license (eligible for LVEC, School to Work, and Ed. for Employment) by completing form PI-1602-AD

Instructional Technology Coordinator (92) License

Apply for an Instructional Technology Coordinator (92) license by completing form PI-1602-AD

Reading Teacher (316) License

Apply for an Initial Educator Reading Teacher (316) license by completing form PI-1602-AD

Applicants must hold or be eligible to hold a Wisconsin teaching license and have two years of teaching experience.  Include the Employment Verification Form (PI-1613) to verify employment.

Emergency License

Use the PI-1602-EL form to apply for or renew an emergency license, which is requested by an employing school district after a search for a fully-licensed candidate was conducted and was unsuccessful. Applicants for a first-time 1-year emergency license can mail the application fee directly to DPI.  Applicants renewing a 1-year emergency license must mail the application packet to the Certifying Officer.

The Certifying Officer will request your transcript, endorse the application, and mail it directly to DPI.

Note for renewal: Enrollment and completion of credits is required in an approved program leading to licensure in the subject and/or developmental/ grade level for which the emergency license is requested. 

Minnesota - Licensure

An online application process is used for a first-time Minnesota license. Begin by completing the online application to obtain your process number.

Please indicate if you desire to have the materials sent back to you (provide your address) or sent directly on to the MN Department of Education (include all necessary information: cover page with process number, Verification of Completion of State-Approved Licensure Program form, and MN fingerprint card).

The Certifying Officer will obtain your official transcript, endorse the application.

Other States - Licensure

Contact the respective State Department of Education to obtain their license application. Return the completed application for endorsement to the Certifying Officer.

The Certifying Officer will secure a UW-Stout transcript and send the application to the respective State Department of Education.


Contact Us

Heather Klanderman
267 Heritage Hall