How To Apply For A Federal Parent PLUS Loan

The PLUS Loan is a loan that parents can borrow for their dependent undergraduate student.

Before the Financial Aid Office can process your request for a PLUS Loan, the student must have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate academic year.


Step 1:   Complete the PLUS Request & Authorization Form

2017-18 PLUS Request & Authorization Form (use this form for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018)

This form is your authorization to the US Department of Education to conduct a credit check.
Submit the form to the UW-Stout Financial Aid Office:

        802 S Broadway St                      Fax:  715.232.5246
        Menomonie WI 54751



Step 2:   Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) online

This may be done at the same time as Step 1 (you do not need to wait for a response from Step 1 to start Step 2).
The same parent who is listed on the PLUS Request & Authorization Form from Step 1 must sign the MPN online.
If you have received a PLUS Loan for this student at UW-Stout in the past, you may skip this step because the MPN you did in the past is valid for ten years

  • Go to and sign in. You will need an FSA ID, which is new as of May 2015. If you have not ever created an FSA ID, you will need to create one to get into the site.

  • Click on "Complete Master Promissory Note" in the middle of the page, then select "Parent PLUS".  In general, you will be asked to provide general information about yourself and your student, two references, and the amount you request. If you are unsure of what amount to request, click on the "PLUS Loan Calculator" tab on this page.


If you are denied a Parent PLUS Loan based on your credit check:


Your student is eligible for an additional amount in the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (up to $4,000 if the student has less than 60 credits earned; up to $5,000 if the student has more than 60 credits earned).


You may still be eligible to receive the Parent PLUS Loan. To become eligible, you may take one of the following actions. Please contact our office if you choose to do either of these options.

  • Obtain an endorser and complete PLUS Counseling (an endorser is someone who does not have an adverse credit history and agrees to repay the loan if you do not repay it).
  • Document to the satisfaction of the US Department of Education that the information causing the denial is incorrect or that there are extenuating circumstances relating to the denial; and complete PLUS Counseling.