Non-Academic Frequently Asked Questions

I received an e-mail letter from a University Investigating Officer asking to meet regarding my involvement in an incident, what should I do?

Attend the meeting at the appointed time.  If a time was not set or you cannot meet at that time, contact the Dean of Students Office (715-232-1181) and ask the secretary to either arrange for a meeting time or reschedule the set meeting with the Investigating Officer listed on your letter.  The letter usually contains the text of UWS Chapter 17, so you will want to read that so you understand your rights.  If you have questions, simply ask the Investigating Officer.  He or she wants you to understand both the process and your rights.

Should I bring witnesses to the initial meeting?

There is no need to bring witnesses to the initial meeting.  The Investigating Office will want to hear your side of the story first and after that may choose to talk with other witnesses and participants.

Is the Chapter 17 non-academic misconduct process the same as when my Hall Director talks to me about issues in the halls?

No, the process will be different and is governed by state law.  The consequences are also different.  The Housing Code of Conduct legal basis is your Housing Contract.  In the most serious cases your contract could be canceled.  UWS Chapter 17 is state law and sanctions for serious offenses could include University Suspension or Expulsion.

What if I disagree with the sanction imposed by the Investigating Officer?

Chapter 17 provides for a hearing where you can testify, present evidence and witnesses, and question adverse witnesses and evidence.  An impartial Hearing Examiner or Committee will then have the authority to uphold, lessen, or in some cases increase the sanction proposed.  Read your sanction letter carefully, you may have to request a hearing or hearing type in writing within a period of time if you want to exercise this right to a hearing.

Also note that UWS 17.15 provides for settlement agreements. While not appropriate in every case, you may wish to ask the Investigating Officer about possible settlement options.

May my parents call and speak to the Investigating Officer or the Dean of Students about my case?

Part of educational process is learning how to deal with situations on your own.  We encourage you to talk with your parents about the incident and to seek their advice and counsel, but in most situations you will learn more by dealing with the situation yourself.  If you do want to authorize your parents to talk to us, we ask that you first sign a consent form and bring it to the Dean of Students Office (130 Bowman Hall).  The form can be located on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) web page.

May I bring my parent or a friend to the hearing?

Yes, you may bring an advisor.  The role of the advisor is just that, to advise you, and with certain exceptions they will not be allowed to present testimony or question witnesses.  If you have any questions about what an advisor may do, contact the Dean of Students Office.


Dean of Students
130 Bowman Hall

8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Call: 715-232-1181
Send an email