Showcase Interview

Jeanne Rothaupt

Jeanne Rothaupt

Faculty Profile
Email Address

Teaching Strategy Video(s)
Team Quizzes: Multiple Exposure to Concepts
Team Quizzes: Rewarding Student Reading
Team Quizzes: Increasing Final Exam Scores

Jeanne Rothaupt teaches in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies. She currently instructs Helping Skills for Individuals and Families, Family Resource Management, Lifespan Human Development, and Addictions and the Family. She has also instructed courses on diversity and marriage and family therapy. Jeanne enjoys teaching all of her classes and finds that the different course material continues to keep her excited and engaged.


Application, practice, and personal reflection are the three main components that Rothaupt stresses in an effort to help students “get it.” She believes it is important for students to be able to apply information from class to their lives because it gives them a different kind of connection to the material at hand.

Jeanne uses a fair amount of “projectives”—items that help students reflect on their values, beliefs, and biases or pre-conceived notions. An example of this technique is with the use of several hundred postcards that Rothaupt has accumulated over the years. She lays out the postcards and instructs the students to silently choose several of the cards that attract or repel them while imagining a specific concept, such as “gender”, “poverty” or “abuse.” Students are then invited to share with one another and relate what they have observed in an effort to increase self-knowledge and build trust in the classroom community.

Another innovation that Rothaupt uses is group exams. In a group exam, students first take the exam individually and submit it. This portion of the exam is worth 75% of the exam grade. After completing the test, students break up into study groups to review and debate the test answers. Next, the students complete the exam a second time, and this portion is worth the remaining 25% of the exam grade. The final exam for the semester is taken only once, and it is taken as an individual test. Jeanne’s research with this test-taking method has shown higher individual final exam scores for the classes where group exams were conducted. She believes this is because the process of discussing and debating difficult questions increases student learning.

Rothaupt states that she strives to engage students in deep and powerful ways and that building a trusting and supportive classroom community is essential to self-reflection and transformative learning.