Foundation awards record amount at annual scholarship program
September 27, 2016
Stout University Foundation awarded a record amount in scholarships to students during its annual
ceremony at the Memorial Student Center.
More than $760,000
was awarded to 380 students at the Sept. 15 reception and program.
Established in 1962,
the Stout University Foundation Scholarship Program has helped more than 8,700
students receive a college education. Through the financial support of alumni,
parents, faculty, staff and friends of the university, the program has given
students more than $11.5 million over the years.
Mark Parsons, vice chancellor for University Advancement
and Marketing and Foundation executive director, said the Foundation
takes great pride in working year-round to provide scholarships for deserving students.
“These awards provide valuable financial support for
students as they work toward their college degree. UW-Stout and Stout
University Foundation appreciate the generous support of donors who make these
awards possible while demonstrating a timeless commitment to UW-Stout and our
students,” said Parsons, who spoke at the event.
Chancellor Bob Meyer, a scholarship recipient when he was an
undergraduate student at UW-Stout in the late 1970s, also spoke.
The awards were presented by Meyer, Foundation Board
President Tom Kornegor and Foundation Board members Greg Else and Janet
attended, including representatives of named scholarships who met the
recipients of their awards.
The emcee was Kelly Matter, a 1989 graduate and president of
Resource Inc., a nonprofit based in Minneapolis. A total of 18 new
scholarships were offered this year. They are:
- Larry A. and Mary E. Bates Transportation
Industry Endowed Scholarship
- Robert F. Cervenka — AnnMarie Foundation
- Dr. Richard T. & Nancy P. Cheng Endowed
- Bill & Jan Dubats Endowed Engineering
- Jan W. Gabrielson Memorial Endowed
- Earl and Marion Hoffman Endowed Scholarship
- The Kitanah Kim Fairy Godmother Scholarship
- Cheryl Kruschke Endowed Scholarship
- Larson Family Art Scholarship
- Katie Brophy Lee Memorial Scholarship
- Moder Family Special Education Scholarship
- Non-Traditional Student Scholarship
- Resilience Scholarship
- Stout Alumni Reflection Endowed Scholarship
- Dietrich and Elisabeth Thompson Ethnic
- Thomson Reuters Digital Marketing Technology
- Jack Vaughan Packaging Scholarship
- George William & Mary Jane Zitelman
Endowed Mechanical Engineering Scholarship
Stout University Foundation is at the Louis Smith Tainter House, 320 S. Broadway St.
Top: David Williams, of
Menomonie, center, sits with students at the Stout University Foundation Scholarship
Program. Williams and his wife, Karen, to his left, are scholarship donors.
Middle: Mark Parsons, vice chancellor and executive director of Stout University Foundation, speaks at
recipient Meghan Olson, of Rosemount, Minn., a senior majoring in early
childhood education, talks at the program reception.