University of Wisconsin Stout | Wisconsin's Polytechnic University
Get Your Hands on Your Future
UW-Stout offers innovative, career-focused degrees based on active learning, applied theory and research.
Get Your Hands on Your Future
Ten students have been named winners of the Samuel E. Wood Medallion, the highest nonacademic honor award at University of Wisconsin-Stout.
The award is given annually to seniors who have been active in student activities, displayed leadership ability and excelled academically. The winners are chosen by a committee representing students, faculty and staff.
The Wood awards, along with other awards, were presented recently at the annual Leadership Awards banquet sponsored by the Involvement Center and Stout Student Association.
Samuel E. Wood was a longtime assistant chancellor for Student Services/Dean of Students. He retired in 1991 and died in February at age 83.
Wood award winners, their majors and main involvement areas are:
• Cindy Beans, of Ely, Minn., hotel, restaurant and tourism management; American Hotel & Lodging Association chapter president and student of the year, Wisconsin Hotel & Lodging Association board member, American Resort and Development Association student liaison
• Brittany Brody, of Stanley, vocational rehabilitation; U.S. Army sergeant, Stout Pre-Health Society; Big Brothers Big Sisters, Miss Wheelchair Wisconsin committee
• Nate Daniels, of Medford, marketing and business education; Blue Devil Productions executive director, Marketing and Business Education Association, University Centers advisory committee
• Xanthi Gerasimo, of Menomonie, applied social science; women’s rugby captain and vice president, applied social science tutor, martial arts instructor
• Sarah Hoffman, of River Falls, service management; Residence Hall Association, National Residence Hall honorary, Academic Honor Society, University Housing Leadership team intern, Leadership and Events committee
• Kourtney Huettl, of Northfield, Minn., hotel, restaurant and tourism management; Peer Advisors, Latinos Unidos, Stout Student Association
• Alissa Miller, of Neenah, retail merchandising and management; Blue Devil Productions, Stout Retail Association, Stout Apparel Society
• Kayla Oliver, of Holmen, marketing and business education; Marketing and Business Education Association, Academic Honor Society treasurer; District 1 DECA conference coordinator
• Matthew Peterson, of Forest Lake, Minn., art education; Lutheran Campus Ministries student president, University Housing resident adviser, Concert Band, National Art Education Association president 2010-11, Habitat for Humanity
• Warren Stevens, of Eau Claire, psychology; Chancellor’s Coalition, Diversity Leadership team, BOLD project committee, election committee
Other awards and winners are:
• Student Staff Team or Group of the Year: Counseling Center student employees
• Organization Events of the Year: Scholastic Book Fair, student-led health clinic, Lumberjack Homecoming
• Organization of the Year: Gamma Sigma Sigma
• Adviser of the Year: Jim Tenorio, Stout Typographical Society
• Advocate of the Year: Molly Harvey, of Cottage Grove
• Volunteer of the Year: Alivia Boddie, of St. Michael, Minn.
• Outstanding Student Employee of the Year: Stephanie Hanrahan, of Kewaunee, Dining Services
• Outstanding Student Leader of the Year: Tim Nelson, of Augusta