The temperature was about 10 below zero as students streamed out of residence halls and into the student center and academic buildings on the first day of classes. A few undergraduates stopped to talk about their goals for the term ahead.
• Ryan Holleran, a computer engineering major from Kenosha, is hoping to raise his grade-point average from 3.0 to 3.4 and “have a good balance of work and school,” he said. He has a tough class ahead in Signals and Systems, he said, and he also works part time for University Dining Services in the Memorial Student Center.
• Two international students who just arrived on campus from King College in Abha, Saudi Arabia, hope to do well in their English as a second language courses. Mohammad Saeed and Mahdi Alyami also are looking forward to warmer weather in the spring and finding a host family in Menomonie, they said.
• Alissa Miller, a retail merchandising and management major from Neenah, is the new executive producer of Blue Devil Productions, the student-run campus entertainment organization. “Leading a student organization is a new experience for me. It’s fun, and I have to remind myself not to get too stressed out about it,” she said, adding that she expects to work 35 to 40 hours a week while also taking 13 credits.
• Alex Van Ert, a graphic design major from St. Paul, said he “hopes to improve my time management.” He will be working up to 30 hours a week at two jobs at Blue Devil Productions and the Raw Deal and taking a full load of classes, 16 credits. That includes a challenging general education physics course, he said.
• Jacob Lube, an information technology management major from Marshfield, is already thinking about a professional certification test that he will take at the end of the semester. The exam will be part of the final exam in the Multi-Layered Switched Networks course. “It’s a very hard test,” he said, as he picked up his textbooks for the semester.
Students won’t get a break until spring break, the week of March 18. The end of the semester is May 15, four months away.