Knapp-Stout & Co. Company Photo Archive

In 1846 the partners John H. Knapp, Henry L. Stout, William Wilson, and Andrew Tainter founded the Knapp, Stout Company, which then began its long and profitable career in the lumber industry, first in Wisconsin and later expanding to adjoining states.  Benefiting by superior leadership and a strategic location in Menomonie, the company withstood the financial crises of the 1870's by plowing its earnings back into large-scale timberland investments, improvements, and enlargements of its physical facilities as well as by integrating and diversifying its operations.  In 1878 the company easily made the transition from a partnership organization to a corporation, changing its name to The Knapp-Stout and Co., Company, which title it retained until its dissolution in the early years of the 20th century.

People

Knapp-Stout & Co.'s 50th AnniversaryKnapp-Stout & Co.'s 50th Anniversary, Aug 12, 1896.

Millwrights at the Big MillMillwrights at the Big Mill, Knapp-Stout & Co. company.

Knapp-Stout & Co. company officeKnapp-Stout & Co. company office.

Buildings

Knapp-Stout & Co. grist millKnapp-Stout & Co. grist mill.

Knapp-Stout & Co. companyKnapp-Stout & Co. company.  Click picture for building descriptions.

Knapp-Stout & Co. complete layout for manufacturing lumber, shingles and flourKnapp-Stout & Co. complete layout for manufacturing lumber, shingles and flour.

Knapp-Stout & Co. HeadquartersKnapp-Stout & Co. Headquarters

Knapp-Stout & Co. complete layout for manufacturing lumber, shingles and flourKnapp-Stout & Co., Menomonie

Logs in Lake Menomin, 1896Logs in Lake Menomin, 1896.

Wilson CreekLooking across Wilson Creek from the Knapp-Stout & Co. office.

Other

Knapp-Stout & Co.'s 50th Anniversary menuKnapp-Stout & Co.'s 50th Anniversary menu.

The Helen MarSteamboat, "The Helen Mar", one of the many owned by the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company