A big move leads to lots of questions. If you can't find what you are looking for, please contact us at housing@uwstout.edu.


And…maybe we will even add your question here!

Moving Questions

Q: What items can I expect to be in my room when I arrive?

A: From the all hall page, visit your hall's page and click on the room tab for the specifics on what your room contains. We provide the necessities a college student needs to live in a hall: an adjustable lofted bed with 13 different positions, a desk, a chair, a dresser, garbage bin, recycling bin, closet and a shared micro-frig. The room is carpeted, too.

Q: What should I bring with me to campus?

A: Your room is your home! We encourage you to bring items with you that will make it just that.

We suggest bringing items like a TV, couch/futon, small rug, room decorations (i.e. pictures, posters, plants), lighting and storage items.

On the practical side, you'll want to have extra-long twin sheets, towels, cleaning supplies, bathroom supplies and plates, bowls and eating utensils.  Futons & couches need to be less than 80 inches long to fit under the loft.

An adjustable loft and micro-fridge are already in the room. Plus, the floor is carpeted from wall-to-wall.


Q: What should I leave at home?

A: Candles, pets (other than fish), fire arms, explosives, paraphernalia, cooking items with exposed elements (i.e. toasters, etc.).  Alcohol and/or empty containers like "grandpa's beer bottle collection" are also against policy if you are under 21.

If you are wondering about an item, check with us before you arrive.

Q: Is my stuff going to fit in my room?

A: You'll want to consider this and may want to hold off on purchases until your arrival. Most of our rooms are 11' x 15' and can accommodate a lot of stuff. But, it all depends on how much you have and how much your roommate has. Plan it out by visiting the room layout section for your hall. There you will find the average measurements of objects inside the room.  PLEASE NOTE: the measurements are an average and can vary somewhat in each hall.


Futons/couches need to be less than 80 inches long to fit under the loft.

Q: When can I move in?

A: Move-In Day for Fall 2017 is Sunday, Sept 3. You will receive information in your mailbox in early August with an assigned time to arrive. We attempt to assign convenient times by how close or far your home address is away from Menomonie. If the assigned time is a concern, drop an email to housing@uwstout.edu explaining your circumstances. We'll work to identify another time on Sunday or share other options.

Q: What insurance will I need when living on-campus?

A: Please investigate what coverage options your parent or guardian has available through their insurance company for property insurance. Many plans allow parents/guardians to extend coverage to items within your residence hall room for an additional fee.

Also, consider whether or not your parents/guardian's medical coverage is available to you. You can review Student Health Insurance options at Student Health Services.

International students, please review your options with the International Student Office at UW-Stout.

Q: Can I get hardwired and wireless Internet services?

A: YES! Wireless access is available in all residence halls. Each room is also equipped with a hardwired Ethernet connection.

FUN FACT!  Your rooms wired connection provide a direct connection versus sharing a wireless access point. If you are into gaming and/or other activities where significant amounts of transfer data is needed, you will probably want to bring an Ethernet cable to connect to the network.

Contract Questions

Q: When I sign a contract, will I permanently stay in the halls?

A: No, although students in their first two years out of high school (most first and second year students) are required to live-on campus based upon a Board of Regents policy that UW-Stout strictly enforces.

A housing contract is a yearly contract with some exceptions such as student teaching, travel abroad and/or an internship. If you plan to live on campus and/or meet the Board of Regents requirement, the contract is required and a legally binding document.

Current residents living on campus will receive contract information through email accounts and their residence hall mailboxes when contracts are available for the next year.

Q: Are the halls open during holidays and breaks?

A: YES! The halls are open from the start of fall semester until the end of the spring semester. Students taking classes over the summer or living on campus in the fall may complete a summer housing contract for space on-campus during the summer.

Q: How can I get out of my housing contract?

 A: For most students, it's not likely you'll be able to break the contract that you signed and will be held to the terms of the Housing & Dining Contract.

Housing Contracts are non-negotiable and cannot be cancelled even when one of the hall release conditions listed below are met.

Please, please, please DON'T sign any off-campus lease unless you receive official written notice of a contract release from Housing. It could mean that you pay two rents!

Contract releases are made for students who meet one of these requirements:
  • an academic requirement such as student teaching, study abroad, or a co-op experience that is further than 40 miles from Menomonie
  • no longer attending UW-Stout

If you do not meet one of the requirements above, you may request a Housing & Dining Contract Exemption/Release request. Please note that if you have signed a contract it is unlikely that you will be approved to cancel your contract.

See Forms to submit the appropriate contract release request.

Living on Campus Questions

Q: What is it like to live on-campus? Any tips?

A: Living on campus is different than living at home in lots of ways. Sharing a room, sharing a bathroom with 30 people, managing your own time, taking care of bills, keeping up with courses, having a social life…well, there's just not one right way to manage it all. Here are 3 tips to start you off:

  • Reach out to your roommate to plan for how you'll live together. 
Who will bring what? Consider personal preferences—early riser, late owl, study in the room, study in the library, lots of friends over all the time, enjoy quiet times alone. Then, complete the roommate agreement your RA will provide to you in the first week or two. It's good to talk about those little irritations early on and work out a plan before they become bigger issues. Be sure to include a few hours of alone time in the room for both of you during the week.
  • Plan to & ATTEND the orientation events!
Why? You'll meet other students. You'll have something to talk/text about with other students when you meet them in class or out & about in the hall. You'll find out about campus stuff and how to successfully resolve problems you'll likely have.
  • Check with friends or relatives that have a year or two in college.
What advice would they give? When you get to campus, check in with your orientation leader and resident advisor. As helpful and experienced students, they will have some great ideas for you, too.

Q: What are quiet hours and when are they?

A: While living in the residence halls, all residents are expected to respect other residents' right to study or sleep so each hall has 24 hour "courtesy hours." However, most students are settling in for the evening, sleeping or studying by these evening hours; therefore, "Quiet Hours" are:

Weeknight Quiet Hours: Sunday–Thursday 10:00pm – 9:00am

Weekend Quiet Hours: Friday–Saturday 12:00 midnight – 10:00am

For students who like it a little quieter, we offer Quiet Study Specialty Floors. Residents on these floors have quiet hours starting at 8 pm every week night and 10 pm on weekends.

Q: What can I do if I don't get along with my roommate?

A: We do our best to place you with someone that matches your learning and social styles based on your preferences (which you fill out before coming to Stout and have the opportunity to change every year with your contract), yet sometimes it is difficult to click and from time to time things just don't work out.

Our RAs are trained to help you through possible roommate issues and we encourage you to try to work through them before making a room change. Try to talk it out, or revisit issues, with a roommate agreement. Your RA can help you plan for this conversation.

If in the end the chemistry just isn't there, talk with your RA and Hall Director to find out what options are available to you.  Please note that you can't force your roommate out of the room if s/he doesn't want to leave. Yet, you can request to move to another space.

Up until a few days before move-in when a campus-wide room freeze goes into effect, a student may search and request an open space through the Housing Gateway.  After your campus arrival, check with your Hall Director regarding open spaces across campus.

Q: What happens when someone gets "written up"?

A: "Written up" is another way to say writing an incident report. Incident reports are written if a policy violation may have occurred or when a fire alarm happened or when a bathroom mirror was damaged. An "incident" occurred and it is documented.

If a student was involved in the incident and a violation may have occurred, the student will be contacted by a University Housing staff member or another University official for more information. Follow this link to learn more about Housing Conduct.

Q. What's an RA?

A. A Resident Advisor (RA) is a returning student who lives on your floor and receives a specialized training to assist you. They are aware of campus resources and will encourage you to get involved and get to know all of the members of the floor.

There are a couple of other students in mentor positions that you'll meet early in your time at Stout:

A WOO Leader is your orientation leader. As a returning student, their job is to help you learn more about being a Stout student.

An Academic Resource Coordinator (ARC) is a returning student who lives in your hall and is responsible for planning and assisting with academic and life skills throughout the year.

To learn about other student positions employed by University Housing, visit here.

Q: Something isn't working in my room; how do I get it fixed?

A: If the issue can be addressed within a day or so, then click on the maintenance request, then 'Submit a request' to address a hall problem ranging from a broken light bulb in your room to clogged bathroom sink. Ask the front desk staff or your RA if you have any trouble or if the issue isn't addressed in a couple of days.

If this issue is a crisis or could cause extensive damage (such as broken water pipe or flooding toilet), a Hall Director.

Contact Information

University Housing 

170 Price Commons

Phone: 715/232-1121

Email: housing@uwstout.edu