What is the health service fee and what does it cover?

Do students need health insurance?

UW-Stout does not bill insurance (see Insurance / Statement of Services) for services with charges associated to them (see UW-Stout Student Health Fee) at this time. Payment for services is the responsibility of the student. 

Do I have to pay for services not covered by the health service fee?

Yes. While a number of services are provided at no additional charge, certain medical procedures, laboratory tests, supplies and medication carry costs.  The cost of services provided by Student Health Services is the responsibility of the patient.  All charges are posted to the students account via the Bursar's Office/ Student Business Office.

Will my parents receive any bills for SHS services?

No. It is the student's responsibility to take care of any charges incurred at Student Health Services.

How will my SHS visit affect my insurance deductible?

Services that are not covered by the health service fee are not billed to insurance. You may request a Statement of Services to send to your insurance company. Insurance deductibles can vary - please refer to your insurance policy.

What if I don't have my insurance card with me at a SHS visit?

Student Health Services does ask that we have the most current insurance card on file for you in the event we need to coordinate outside care for you.

Does Student Health Services offer a health insurance plan?

Student Health Services offers information on health insurance facilitated by Jeatran Insurance - see Plan Information and Enrollment Information.

Do I need a referral from my home primary care provider to use SHS?

No, when you are currently enrolled and attending school, full-time or part-time, you can use SHS without a physician's referral.

What methods of payment do you accept?

All charges once posted to the student's account can be paid at the Bursar's Office/ Student Business Office.  

Who do I contact for questions regarding a "hold" on my student account?

Please contact the Student Business Services office for questions regarding a "hold" on your student account.

Who has access to my medical information?

Our clinic is a covered entity under the HIPAA law enacted in 1996. If you are 18 years or older, medical information cannot be released without your consent. You must complete a Release of Medical Records form.

How do I go about getting my records from SHS/ to SHS?

According to the HIPAA law, in order for us to receive or send out patient information, you must complete a Release of Medical Records form. Records cannot be released without a completed form on file. Please allow 2 - 3 days after receipt for processing.