Louis Smith Tainter House

13b_1

The Louis Smith Tainter House, once known to students as Eichelberger Hall, was designed by Harvey Ellis, an architect known for his influence on 19th century Midwestern architecture, using a style termed Richardsonian Romanesque.

The three-story stone mansion was built by lumber baron Andrew Tainter for his son, Louis. He and his wife lived there for several years and then sold the mansion to Paul Wilson, son of lumberman William Wilson.

In 1940, the property was seized by the county for back taxes. The Stout Institute obtained the historic home by paying the back taxes with funds from the Eichelberger legacy, an endowment received from a wealthy Horicon, Wisconsin family.

In 1945, the home was remodeled to serve as a women's dormitory. After additional residence halls were built, the building was used for office space. After further renovation, the building became home for the Stout University Foundation Inc. and the Stout Alumni Association.