Non-Degree Seeking (Special) Enrollment

 Individuals who wish to enroll in graduate coursework for professional or personal development without pursuing a graduate degree are encouraged to do so. All students, including non-degree seeking are subject to Graduate School policies. The following apply specifically to non-degree students:

  1. Must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution

  2. Complete an application:
    • Online Admission Application
    • or, If you have already identified course(s) you’d like to take, apply and register by completing the Credit Outreach Registration form. [PDF]
    • or, if you are pursuing Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (WI DPI) certification options through UW-Stout, School of Education, you are required to submit additional application materials. (see:
  3. May enroll in any 500 or 600 level course and most 700 level courses.  Certain 700 level courses such as research, practicum and internship, and all 800 level courses are restricted to degree program students

  4. While there is no numerical limit on the number of total credits that can be taken as a non-degree seeking student, the number of such credits that can be applied to a degree program is limited to one-third of the minimum number of credits required for graduation in that program. Individual programs may set a lower limit for such credits, provided this lower limit has been approved through the official curriculum process.

  5. Completion of courses while enrolled as a non-degree seeking student does not guarantee admission into a specific degree program. If a non-program special student decides to enter a specific graduate program, the student must apply for admission into that program.

  6. Students who are in good standing in a degree program may request a change to non-degree seeking enrollment status.

  7. As necessary, non-degree seeking students are advised in pursuing their non-program coursework by the director, Office of Graduate Studies.

  8. Individuals who have been dropped from a graduate program are not eligible to pursue coursework as "special” students.

  9. Typically, financial aid is not available to non-degree seeking students except for those pursuing certain WI DPI certification programs.