University of Wisconsin Stout | Wisconsin's Polytechnic University
Innovative online and distance education
Innovative online and distance education
"First Steps" are the tasks new students MUST complete before they may be fully registered at UW-Stout, whether self-registering or registering through Registration and Records | UW Stout Online.
All students are required to complete these steps if they are new to UW-Stout. Some students who are returning after stopping out for a Fall or Spring semester or more will have to repeat these steps as well.
- Activating your username and setting up your password.
- Setting up your My Mail student email account.
- Locating and logging into Access Stout for the first time.
- Completing the FPA requirement (financial payment agreement) in Access Stout.
- Completing the eRefund requirement in Access Stout.
After you complete the steps above and are registered, you can access your courses in the steps outlined in 6. Learn@UWStout. Progress through each tab in numerical order to complete all of the "First Steps" necessary to get registered.
Next: Activate your Username
Why do I need to activate my UW-Stout Account? Activating your UW-Stout Account will create the email, username, and password you will need to log into campus systems such as UW-Stout email (My Mail), the course management system (Learn@UWStout), and Access Stout.
Go to https://password.uwstout.edu; click on the "Activate New Account" button and follow the prompts.
Note: you will need your student ID and date of birth
Why do I need a My Mail account? All official communication from the university, such as billing notifications, emails from instructors, etc., will come through your UW-Stout email account. As a student, you are responsible for checking your UW-Stout email account!
Note: To access your email for the first time, you must have completed step 1: activating your username/password. Once you have done this, go to the logins page; click on Web Mail, or click on the My Mail QuickLink at the bottom of the page .
2. You will be taken to the email login page.
- Be sure to log in using your FULL UW-Stout email username, INCLUDING the "@my.uwstout.edu;" enter your password.
- If you have a personal Hotmail, Windows Live, MSN email account, you may want to "uncheck" the "keep me signed in" box.
- Click the "sign in" button.
Next: Access Stout
What is Access Stout? Access Stout is your self-service area for a number of student services you may want to access 24/7/365.
Here, you are able to:
To log into Access Stout, go to the logins page and click on Access Stout, or click on the Access Stout QuickLink at the bottom of the page .
1. At the Access Stout home page, enter your username and password; click "enter."
2. You are now at the Access Stout landing page. Be sure to read the information and explanation on the right-hand side.
3. Click on "Self Service" in the left hand menu.
4. Click on "Student Center" to access your student account.
Next: Fee Payment Agreement (FPA)
What is the FPA? Why is it required? All students are required to have a signed Fee Payment Agreement (FPA) form on file with the Student Business Services Office in order to register for courses. This form does not obligate you to use the payment plan, but merely indicates you have read and understand the payment plan and any finance charges that could be applied if you do not pay in full by the due date.
1. In your student center, look in the right-hand column under "Holds." If you have not submitted the FPA, you will have a hold, which will require you to do so before you will be allowed to register. Click on "details" to complete the FPA.
2. Click on "Complete Fee Payment Agreement" to get started.
3. A pop-up box will appear, directing you how to complete the FPA.; read the message, click "OK."
4. Complete the form as requested; when finished, click "Save" to sign electronically.
5. If the form was submitted correctly, you should no longer have the FPA hold listed.
Next: Completing the eRefund Setup
1. Click on: eRefund
2. Enter your UW-Stout's User Name (without the "@my.uwstout.edu") and Password
3. Click on eRefunds in the top menu bar.
4. Click on Set up Account.
5. Complete all required fields, then click "Continue."