A Brief History of the Ally Center

How it began...


Located on the first floor of the Memorial Student Center, the former Birch Gallery space was selected as the new Ally Center. With the emphasis on student involvement, students and staff gathered in the summer of 2005 to create a safe and welcoming space for students. The Ally Center officially opened on February 27th, 2006 by hosting a series of events about issues of Humanity/White privilege, and by coordinating the Inter-group Dialogue retreat.
 
The name was changed from "Center" to "Initiatives" with the opening of the newly-renovated Memorial Student Center in the spring of 2012.  The word Initiatives is a clearer reflection of the mission, which primarily addresses programs and events held at many locations, not at a specific space or center.

Today, the Ally Initiatives staff members plan and coordinate events, including Film Series, Dialogues, Alternative Breaks, training programs and volunteer/civic engagement events related to civil rights and civic responsibility. Internships are posted at Career Services & on the student employment website. The Ally Initiatives resource area  is currently located in 108 Memorial Student Center (Involvement Center,  715-232-1772).

image003a-magnificent-odyssey_1