Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees

Graduate tuition and institutional fees are set by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents and are subject to change. Current tuition rates are online. If you have questions, contact Student Business Services (126 Administration Building, 715/232-1656).

All UW-Stout students are required to have a signed Payment Plan Agreement/Application on file with the Office of Student Business Services. All Wisconsin residents are also required to provide information on their marital status. The application is online at or you may pick up a copy at the Office of Student Business Services.

Resident Status

Adult students who have been bona fide residents of Wisconsin for at least 12 months immediately preceding the beginning of the term of enrollment at the university are considered to be resident students for tuition purposes.

Any minor or adult student who is a graduate of a Wisconsin high school and whose parents are bona fide residents of this state for 12 months preceding the beginning of the term of enrollment, or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of the state for 12 months preceding death, are also considered to be residents.

In determining bona fide residence, intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin is determinative. The burden of proof is on the student but intent may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, possession of a Wisconsin operator’s license, place of employment and self-support. Persons employed full time in Wisconsin, who were relocated here by their current employer or who came to Wisconsin for their current employment and who accepted that employment before moving here and before applying for admission to the university and who remain continuously employed full time by that employer are considered a resident student. Any spouses and dependents of these individuals would also be considered resident students if they can demonstrate an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in the state.

Non-resident members of the armed forces and persons engaged in alternative service who are stationed in Wisconsin for purposes other than education, their spouses and minor children, are also considered to be residents for tuition purposes during the period such persons are stationed in Wisconsin.

Part-Time Students

Part-time graduate students are those carrying fewer than nine credits.

Dual Level Students

Dual Level students (eligible undergraduates carrying graduate work simultaneously) pay the tuition and fees associated with the course, i.e. graduate tuition for graduate courses, and undergraduate tuition for undergraduate courses.

Tuition and Fee Refunds

Refunds for fees paid are prorated according to the length of the course and the number of days a course has been in session. Refunds for early withdrawal during a semester for a course of at least 12 weeks are:

  • First week – 100%
  • Second week – 100%
  • Third week – 50%
  • Fourth week – 50%
  • Fifth week – 0%

In determining the withdrawal date, the university uses the date the student notifies the school of the withdrawal; or if the student fails to notify the school and is otherwise unable to verify date of withdrawal, the date of the request to refund will be used to determine the refund.

Students who enter military service by enlistment or otherwise shall receive a refund in accordance with the standard refund policy of the university. Other exceptions may be made upon approval of the chancellor or his designee and the designated Board of Regents representative.

Minnesota – Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

An agreement between the states of Wisconsin and Minnesota permits residents of either state to attend higher education institutions in the other state at the same tuition rate as their home state.

To be eligible under this agreement, a student must file an application prior to or during the term or semester in which he or she expects to first receive the waiver of the non-resident portion of tuition. Applicants may apply online at Applications are also available from Student Business Services (126 Administration Building, 715/232-1656). A student is deemed to meet this application date requirement if his or her completed application is postmarked no later than the last day of scheduled classes. A term or semester is deemed to run through the last day of scheduled classes as published in the academic calendar of the institution. Neither the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Commission nor the university will be financially liable for students enrolled under the reciprocity agreement who have not received prior approval and certification by the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108-5227.

Continuous Enrollment Fee

Students who have previously registered for all of the necessary coursework credits and research requirements on their approved program of study, but who have not completed their research project will be registered for continuous enrollment credit (TRDIS-700)each additional semester and/or summer session until degree completion. This applies to students who have previously received an Incomplete (I) or an In Progress (IP) grade. This will ensure that you have access to the library, laboratories, faculty and other benefits. Continuous enrollment credits will not count toward the requirements for the Degree. The fee for continuous enrollment of $100 per term cannot be waived.

Graduation Fee

Upon enrollment, student accounts will be charged a one time, non-refundable $100 graduation fee. This fee pays for various costs, including the diploma and cover, as well as other costs and accessories associated with the commencement exercises. Candidates will be assessed this fee regardless of commencement ceremony participation. The fee does not cover fees for cap and gown, which are available from the University Bookstore.

Special Course Fees

Many individual courses require special course fees.