Transfer of Credits and Policy

Select from the topics below to learn more:

  »  Transfer Credit Policy

Credit is generally awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or equivalent) in that country.  Credit earned in institutions of higher education which are not accredited is generally not accepted for transfer.   However, credit may be granted for post-secondary work from non-accredited institutions by examination and/or upon department evaluation of course syllabi and other program information. Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs; this includes courses that are technical or vocational in nature. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.

All credit that is transcripted is evaluated including what is awarded for experiential learning or other forms of prior learning or relies on the evaluation of responsible third parties. Credits earned through test-out at one institution and is clearly indicated on the official transcript, will transfer to UW-Stout as it would under normal transfer circumstances. These credits may include: Retroactive credit for foreign language; Test-out credit for that institutions's actual course (as opposed to elective credit). Credit earned by means of any other test (Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program, International Baccalaureate) must provide UW-Stout with an original score report to receive credit pre-determined by departmental review based on score received. Dual credit courses or programs for high school students are considered equivalent in learning outcomes and levels in achievement to its higher education curriculum by means of receipt of an official college transcript from a regionally accredit institution.

  »  Equivalent Credit

Courses completed at other colleges or universities that have descriptions that closely match the descriptions of courses taught at UW-Stout generally will transfer as a direct course equivalent.


  »  Elective Credit

College level courses completed at other colleges or universities that do not transfer exactly as a UW-Stout course will transfer as an elective course within that discipline or a related discipline. Elective credits may count toward a degree in the same way that a direct course equivalent does.  In addition, college level courses completed at other universities that hold general education/liberal arts requirements, diversity or global perspective designations but do not transfer exactly as a UW-Stout course will transfer as an elective course which holds a similar designation attribute.  Whenever possible, this course will be used towards similar general education/liberal arts requirements at UW-Stout.

  »  Credit by Exam

We offer credit for a variety of exams, including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and the College-Level Examination Program. Students may also "test out" of a course by means of a Credit by Departmental Exam where you feel you may have the knowledge or experience required—contact the department offering the course.

For detailed information on how to test out via a departmental exam, visit the Registration and Records website.

  »  Military Experience

Credit may be awarded for military experience or military school training. Learn more on the Credit for Prior Learning page.


  »  Work Experience

Academic credit may be awarded for what has been learned through the normal course of job (work) related responsibilities or training. Learn more on the Credit for Prior Learning page.

  »  Degree Requirements

Specific degree requirements differ among the various UW-Stout majors. Transfer credit will be applied toward degree requirements appropriately, depending upon which major and/or degree you intend to complete. To learn more about degree and major requirements, consult the Undergraduate Bulletin or the appropriate undergraduate major consulting the corresponding program plan. 

  »  Credit Limits

There is no specific limit on the number of credits a student can transfer. In order to earn a degree at UW-Stout, all students must complete their last 32 credits of work here.


  »  Transfer Limitations

Credits from other institutions are recorded on your UW-Stout permanent record. Grades and honors points do not transfer. Only grades earned at UW-Stout are used to compute grade point average on your UW-Stout transcript. At the point of graduation, all credits completed at UW-Stout and additional credits accepted at UW-Stout (as indicated on the transcript and Degree Audit) from all previous institutions attended will be used to determine possible graduation with honors.

Guidelines for Advisement of Transfer Students

Carl Hanson

“I loved my prior school, but transferred because I wanted to change my major. The first time I was in Menomonie was move-in day and I felt instantly at home. I was on an all-transfer guys floor and we were all in the same boat. Next year I’ll be off campus but I’m living with three other guys from my floor. I love everything about Stout. The people, the teachers, the campus, the town — everything is perfect and I’d highly recommend for everyone to consider it for their college — especially if they don’t know what they want to do for a profession.”

Carl Hanson, Construction
Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin